1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

House filled up with smoke

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by smg64ct, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smg64ct

smg64ct Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    My Quadra-fire cb1200 freestanding stove started letting smoke in the house. I planned on cleaning the stove, so I shut it off and went about doing other things while the stove shut down and cooled. I was upstairs and all of sudden I smelled smoke and you could see it. I keep this stove very clean all the time. After it shut down I opened the door and I noticed smoke still coming out of the burn pot even though the unit has been shut down a while. What would have caused this? I'm suppose to go out tonight and I don't feel like I trust it. Also, the burn pot was just cleaned out yesterday. Thanks for your help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
  3. smg64ct

smg64ct Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Its vented straight out and I don't have outside air. I plan on having it go straight up.
  4. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    Did you switch it off and let it burn out or unplug it to let it burn out.
  5. smg64ct

smg64ct Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I swicthed it to off and was just waiting for the fans to shut off.
  6. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    I would think that the exhaust blower did shut off, too soon for whatever reason.... I don't know the inner workings of the stove
    I had the direct vent and never had smoke back after shutting it down properly the exhaust blower would run for about 45 minitues after shutting it down....
    This is on a Harman though
  7. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I think, as our resident expert Rod has pointed out, that a straight out installation on any pellet stove should become a thing of the past. Whenever possible, a rise of at least 5 feet should be used. Also, some stove manuals require outside air. These two things should go a long way toward eliminating smoke backup from the occasional "burp".....not to say that the stove is supposed to smoke, but just that Murphy is always in attendance and his laws dictate that "what can go wrong, will go wrong"....plan accordingly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.