House settled at one end

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 25, 2008
Western PA
The house was built in 1951, in western PA with rocky soil. It's built into the side of a hill, with the basement garage at grade level, and the far side of the basement below grade. Concrete basement floor with block walls.

Using a level, it seems the house has settled at the end that is built into the hill. Not really apparent when viewing the house from a distance, but enough to measure. The only cracks are in the block walls at the driveway end of the house, at grade level, where there was separation of no more than a 1/4 inch. This was patched sometime in the past with what looks like hydraulic cement.

The basement in fact is quite dry and has never had water in it than I can tell. The upstairs walls all appear to be intact with original plaster work and no cracks.

In the ground along the side of the house that has settled, there is some sort of drain running not far below the surface, but appears to be blocked up. Looks like it was placed a long time ago.

Given the age of the house and the fact that the settling appears old, and no new problems have arisen in the past few years, is there any reason to do anything other than ensure good drainage along the hill side of the house?

Thanks.

It could be that most of the settling occurred early on. I'd just watch it and make sure drainage + gutter run-off is away from the house foundation.

I'm led to believe that it's pretty common for a house to settle a little right after it's built.

Check to make sure the windows all close properly. Same thing for doors. The building at work the windows don't close right because the settling has caused them to go out of square.

What you're describing sounds pretty minor, actually. As mentioned above, if the doors and windows operate OK, then the thing hasn't tweaked itself too badly out of square & plumb. The fact that the basement is dry is a very good thing. Really good drainage around the outside perimeter is key, and should be the first priority, in my mind. Rick

Sounds normal. I bet it hasn't moved in 30 years.

OMG, get out quick! If the house is paid off I will give you fair consideration, say a dollar to rid you of this nightmare! Really though, I would not be concerned... Sounds like its long done...

Status
Not open for further replies.