How about this for water storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the tank is $1450 and the insulation is $950 bringing the cost to $2400. After that you still need a heat exchanger for it. That seems a little steep in price for 500 gallons, but maybe it is reasonable if you aren't able to make one yourself. Unpressurized I think Polypropylene is good up to 200*, so I think it would generally work (http://www.cheresources.com/plpipezz.shtml). What were you thinking of doing for an hx? Copper coil? Flat plate? Interesting product.

Any chance your 32 inch restriction is based on a sliding door in your basement? I had to pop the glass out of my slider to get two propane tanks in (37" diameter) but it was not that bad.

Those plastic tanks are very expensive. Especially compared to a new 500 gallon propane tank that you wouldn't need an HX with...heck, I'd knock out a concrete walll to save a grand! ha.

stee6043 said:
Any chance your 32 inch restriction is based on a sliding door in your basement? I had to pop the glass out of my slider to get two propane tanks in (37" diameter) but it was not that bad.

Those plastic tanks are very expensive. Especially compared to a new 500 gallon propane tank that you wouldn't need an HX with...heck, I'd knock out a concrete walll to save a grand! ha.

yes teh 32" is based on the basement door and making a bigger opening is not something that I really want to due. On 1 side is my control board for the Hot water heating system and the other is the built in work bench in the basement.

Also I can fit 2 of the 31" tanks in the basement with realitve ease but to fit a Propane tank I don't have that kind of room.

and I was thinking the price on the 200 gallon tank of only being $650 is a little better to chew off.
get one hooked up and going in the basement. If I like it and want more capacity I can buy another and just hook it up in parallel to the first. Then I am pretty much out of room in my basment It's only a 20'x20 and I wanna turn half of basement into my "Man Cave"/Office area/computer gaming/sunday football/etc etc...
If I still need more I can get a 3rd one and if I clean out the Room where the wood boiler is set up in the garage I can fit it in the back corner of that room.

Also I am only plannig to be in this house for another 5-10 years and If the new owner's dont want to heat via the Wood boiler out in the Garage they can fire up the old natural gas Forced air furnance and away they go. I can pull all the Pex Lines and only leave the 50' of insulated tubing in the ground. So I want to keep a system that is pretty easy to be pulled out and transported to another location.

small tanks that fit in/out the basement door look much more appealing than wrestling a LP tank in and out of the basement.

anyway thanks for all your thought on this.

Sublime out

What is the output of the boiler you're running? 200 gallons is a bit on the light side for average boiler outputs. I'm sure any storage is better than no storage but you should also weigh the benefits vs the work and cost. With 200 gallons you'll probably still have a fair amount of idling and your time between firings might not be extended by a whole lot???

stee6043 said:
What is the output of the boiler you're running? 200 gallons is a bit on the light side for average boiler outputs. I'm sure any storage is better than no storage but you should also weigh the benefits vs the work and cost. With 200 gallons you'll probably still have a fair amount of idling and your time between firings might not be extended by a whole lot???

Output is a guess,

I got the Boiler used for $300.00 from a co worker who had bought it for his 2400'SQ ranch house. He quit burning wood in 1995 with it. Had an NG furnance hook up instead. The place he got the wood boiler from has long since been out of business. I hooked the old girl up in 2005 and some trial's and error's along the way. ID plate on that say's "The Jack Line" done some searching on the web and the closet thing I can find is,
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/BIGJACKADDONWOODFURNACE/tabid/169/Default.aspx
I suppose I can get fire box dimensions and such which would help me figure out how many BTU's she put's out

Also the induction fan has a cover plate for the opening with 1/3 open or 2/3 open most of the time its set on the 1/3 open.

My house is a 1800'SQ Bungalow style so I got's plenty of Boiler to keep the little place warm even though its old and drafty.

any way this is a Pic of my Boiler in 2005 on its first year of use for me. It's now in its own little room in the garage that stay's a nice 80+ when the fires lit.
534733_99_full.jpg

I know shes not pretty or cute but its what I got.
sublime out.

Status
Not open for further replies.