How bad is ailanthus?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esh21167

Dec 27, 2007
Central PA
Was driving today and saw some tree guys cutting down a tree. Stopped and asked about the wood and they said take all you want. It didn't look familiar and they didn't know what it was. They loaded my truck full,then their arborist comes and says it's an ailanthus. Came home and jumped right here on the forum and read alot of bad news about it. My wife comes home and says "this wood stinks!" (I couldn't tell, my sense of smell is lousy). It this stuff even worth keeping or would I be better off just getting rid of it?

I have a friend that says it it is OK to burn, but avoid planting it or letting your cuttings root and grow. In fact, on your next trip to Lowes, pick up the hottest herbicide you can find (2,4-D, possibly any other nuclear device available) and douse that stump with it!!!! That is some nasty sh*t. Imported from China, will take over and disrupt your native forest stand. If they didn't treat the stump, there's going to be a crap-load of little mini-ailanthus sprouting up everywhere!!

It's a very light wood when dry, and it doesn't throw a lot of heat or burn a long time. It's not a very "desirable" fuelwood but you got it for free-mix it in with better woods, use it for kindling, etc.

OK, I guess I'll hold on to it and use it little by little in the mix. The tree wasn't at my place, so the stump isn't an issue. All my pieces are 6" diameter or bigger, so I don't suspect they will root either.

Eric H said:
OK, I guess I'll hold on to it and use it little by little in the mix. The tree wasn't at my place, so the stump isn't an issue. All my pieces are 6" diameter or bigger, so I don't suspect they will root either.

Oh, it's an issue, just not yours. :p

Mike from Athens said:
I have a friend that says it it is OK to burn, but avoid planting it or letting your cuttings root and grow. In fact, on your next trip to Lowes, pick up the hottest herbicide you can find (2,4-D, possibly any other nuclear device available) and douse that stump with it!!!! That is some nasty sh*t. Imported from China, will take over and disrupt your native forest stand. If they didn't treat the stump, there's going to be a crap-load of little mini-ailanthus sprouting up everywhere!!

One more thing to thank the Chi-coms for :grrr:

I cut down a few of those trees a couple of years ago. I mix it with my hardwoods. As mentioned, it's light when it's dry and doesn't give off the btu's of hardwood, but it's good for starting a fire or mixing with hardwood to keep the flame going.
And it definitely doesn't smell like hickory.

Status
Not open for further replies.