How bad is the stink???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sblat

Nov 3, 2010
Haslett, MI
I am getting the T5 installed today. The stove is a floor model so it has already been burned, but I am replacing my old black pipe. I know that my first fire will "cure" the pipe, just wondering on how bad it will be. I know I will have to open doors and windows, but will this take a while to get out on my house? How long are we talking? Also, are the fumes hazardous at all? Thanks

I wouldnt breath em on purpose. Open doors, windows, light the fire go out for about 5 or 6 hours, come back and should be fine.

At the farm I have a old stove outside that I put the pipe on and burn it off outside. I also use a hog burner on a propane tank to cook one off.

Billy

I think I am pretty picky about odors, and when we first burned the Lopi and new stove pipe I didn't notice the smell lingering at all. It did stink, but didn't linger. The windows were open and the door to the stove room was closed.

I installed our new stove, with new pipe, a few months back. I kept the first couple fires small to medium in intensity, and the odor wasn't so bad. I did open the doors in the room the stove is in and it was ok. The smell was obvious but not bad. By the second burn, no odors I could detect. My run of stovepipe was only about six feet.

It was pretty much a non issue for us. Sort of like when something burns in the oven but maybe not even that bad. It will be cured before you know it. At least this is a good time of year since you can air things out.

Thanks for all the input, I think I will light a smallish fire later, crank open the windows and go out to dinner or something like that. Hopefully it will be pretty good after a couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.