How bad is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be concerned about the long term production of caustic hydroxides and carbonates and their long term impact on the stove as they repeatedly seep down into the cracks, dry, concentrate, reconstitute, etc.

That keeps me up nights worrying about it too. :rolleyes:

Reactions: chazcarr
Those were all pretty expensive and/or got terrible reviews. I google searched Amazon comments and found this product:
http://www.amazon.com/Flexrake-CLA3...UTF8&qid=1389811955&sr=8-6&keywords=hand+rake

It came last week and works perfectly! Being under $8 helps and the thing is built really solid. Hope this helps others looking for a good ash rake.

Yeah, I knew it was a bad idea. I was just really surprised how well it worked. It cooled the hidden embers and made an easily vacuumed up ash. THe stove was only around 150 when I did it. I never seem to have a good draft when I try to empty into the bin. The smoke always seems to shoot right up to the ceiling.

I am going to try the vacuum above the bin technique next when my wife can help. Right now she has her hands full.

also open the air all the way first.

This.

Another trick I use which I learned on here, is to take a damp towel and drape it on top of the metal ash pail/bucket. when you dump the ashes into the bucket the damp towel will collect any fine particles that try to fly into the room.

just being careful is more than enough. i only clean out a cold stove. shovel into a paper grocery bag, take the bag outside and put in a metal trash can out in the yard. next time I clean out a stove, i take the old ash bag and dump it into the compost pile, replace it with the new ash bag in the metal can.

Those were all pretty expensive and/or got terrible reviews. I google searched Amazon comments and found this product:
http://www.amazon.com/Flexrake-CLA336-15-Inch-Classic-Reach/dp/B001JJZLQY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1389811955&sr=8-6&keywords=hand rake

It came last week and works perfectly! Being under $8 helps and the thing is built really solid. Hope this helps others looking for a good ash rake.

i don't know what your poke looks like, but mine is shaped like an L at the end, I just turn it sideways to use it as a rake.

You should bring your ash bucket into the house or get something similar made of metal to put your ashes in before you carry them outside. I know you said you only clean out a cold stove, but I can tell you from an early experience with the very first stove I ever owned that putting ashes into a paper bag is a big mistake. The stove had been cold for days and I didn't think a thing about shoveling the "cold" ashes into a paper grocery bag. However, in my case I just left the ashes in the bag and set it the back room until trash day. A couple days later I happened to go out into the storage room for something and was surprised to find a big pile of ashes sitting on the wooden floor. I couldn't imagine how they had gotten there until I cleaned them up and found the bottom of the paper bag under the pile! I know you said you put the ashes directly into your metal ash can outside. Picture this: you're headed out to dispose of your ashes and the phone rings. You put the bag down for to take the call and one thing leads to another with the bag of ashes forgotten. Or: you are carrying the "cold" bag of ashes outside right when you are surprised to find yourself with a bag of flaming ashes tumbling to the floor as they burn through the bag! Just saying.

Reactions: firefighterjake
You should bring your ash bucket into the house or get something similar made of metal to put your ashes in before you carry them outside. I know you said you only clean out a cold stove, but I can tell you from an early experience with the very first stove I ever owned that putting ashes into a paper bag is a big mistake. The stove had been cold for days and I didn't think a thing about shoveling the "cold" ashes into a paper grocery bag. However, in my case I just left the ashes in the bag and set it the back room until trash day. A couple days later I happened to go out into the storage room for something and was surprised to find a big pile of ashes sitting on the wooden floor. I couldn't imagine how they had gotten there until I cleaned them up and found the bottom of the paper bag under the pile! I know you said you put the ashes directly into your metal ash can outside. Picture this: you're headed out to dispose of your ashes and the phone rings. You put the bag down for to take the call and one thing leads to another with the bag of ashes forgotten. Or: you are carrying the "cold" bag of ashes outside right when you are surprised to find yourself with a bag of flaming ashes tumbling to the floor as they burn through the bag! Just saying.

I hear what your saying...but that same phone can ring while I'm cleaning out the stove. I put the shovel down and a few hot coals fall under an upholstered chair and it burns while we're sleeping.

So maybe I'm different than others, but if I have my insert open, there is the potential for fire to get into my home. While I have the Insert open, the phone can ring, the wife can yell, the dogs can begin barking because someone is at the door, or the toilet can overflow. My reaction is always the same. I keep doing what I'm doing because the hole that contains fire is open, and you don't let yourself get distracted when the hole that holds fire is open! Ever!

Reactions: chazcarr
Open damper fully as far in advance as possible, rake the coals every 15 min. with damper open, if you see big chunks or hot coals, I move them to the side and leave them in the stove to start the next load. Having a bit of a draft when shovelling ash is the key to getting none in the house. Get your metal ash pan outside ASAP, either on a cement pad or snow bank that is AWAY from the house or anything else combustible.
I end up cleaning out the stove when the ashes are still pretty hot and it does work well with a little practice and attention to safety. If the stove and chimney are still warm, it actually helps keep the soot to a minimum with more draft but you need to be a lot more careful. It is days after the last fire before my ashes are dead cold.

I use a stainless steel pail I bought from Fleet Farm to empty my ash into, then I let it sit on a concrete floor for about 2 weeks before I dump it outside in the snow. When emptying ash you have to do it slowly, being in a hurry only causes a bigger mess. Another thing I do is turn on a air purifier for about an hour or 2 just to grab any ash that got away.

I'd also be concerned about rust inside the firebox, water doesn't belong in there.

Shoveling ashes creates dust no matter how careful you are. I wear a dust mask. When putting a shovelful into the ash bucket it's important not to drop the ashes into the bucket but rather take the shovel all the way to the bottom of the bucket and then ease the ashes off the shovel. I do this two handed, one hand on the shovel, the other holding the lid. After each shovelful I cover the bucket with the lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.