How big a wood splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I am still looking for a wood splitter. Trying to buy used for bang for the buck, but most people on Craigslist ask too much. I can buy a brand new 35 ton Dirty Hand Tools for $1580 plus tax right now, but that is more rating than I have been looking for. It just caught my eye due to the big rating. How much does one need? I had kinda settled on about 25 ton rating. I will add that I am age 63 and not the man I used to be, lol. Meaning lifting really big rounds is not my liking due to a not so strong back and bad shoulder. I lift some really heavy rounds, but limit to 14" to 16" length due to their heavy weight. And even that can be a big burden. So, is a smaller tonnage rating better? Would the machine be easier to move around? What about a 'table' or log catcher and other add-ons, do you theink they are necessary?

EDIT: I found this old thread on another site -- http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/log-splitter-how-many-tons-is-enough.138381/

Wondering about the Timberwolf TW5, that looks nice! Has a hydraulic lifter thing to lift rounds to the table. I bet it's expensive! (EDIT: Holy cow, $9,000!)

Last edited:
Sir, Interesting thoughts about getting older and splitting wood. I am 74 yo. and split all my own wood. Right now I am over three years ahead. I have had my splitter, a Troy Built 27 ton for only three years and used a hammer and wedges mostly before that. I have found that the manual exercise is good but the key thing is as soon as you get the least tired, walk away. You don"t need to split everything at once. The other key is to get a splitter that can work verticaly. Sit on a milk crate and roll the wood to the splitter. Picking up the rounds to put them on the machine well kill your back. Do those two things and it well turn into enjoyable exercise. David.

Reactions: TCantor and Wickets
Random thoughts . . .

I suspect most folks would say a 22-ton to 27-ton splitter would be fine for most wood and applications.

Dirty Hand Tools seems to be a pretty well respected homeowner-grade splitter with plenty of happy users here.

RE: Age. You may note that you're not as physically capable as you once were . . . I would like to suggest you are simply working smarter not harder and sometimes getting a hydraulic splitter is part of that smarter type of thinking.

If lifting heavy rounds is not something you particularly enjoy doing . . . and who does . . . I might suggest making sure whatever splitter you look at either has a lifting mechanism (a few out there do) or the ability to split vertically as well as horizontally (many more tend to have this feature vs. a lifting mechanism.) Me . . . I like splitting horizontally, but there was a member here who split all of his wood vertically while sitting next to the splitter. And truth be told . . . even though I prefer to split with the splitter in the horizontal position, on the really big rounds I'll go vertical and split them into smaller splits before going horizontal again.

Features . . . I wouldn't say any features are needed . . . but having a log catcher (table or cradle) to me is very handy.

Not sure how good a product this is, but Rugged Made has splitters with lift arms relatively cheap.

I have also found my 22 ton so far has split everything I have put on it.

I went with the DHT 28 ton over the 22 because it had a faster cycle time, it was on sale, and I had a 10% off coupon. Also, I cut to 20" and I wasn't sure if the 22 would split that length when dealing with a crotch/knot. I've bee happy with it and have yet to find a round it won't split. For me, he 35 would have been overkill and a waste of cash.

The first few times I moved it, it was quite heavy, but then I lifted the tongue high to maneuver it... The weight went to zero. I'm guessing the same would be true with the 35. Getting the splitter to that position requires less muscle than lifting a decent sized round.

Does anyone have experience with the 4-way wedge on the DHT? It seems like a decent time saver for 6-10" or maybe 12" rounds.

I went with the DHT 28 ton over the 22 because it had a faster cycle time, it was on sale, and I had a 10% off coupon. Also, I cut to 20" and I wasn't sure if the 22 would split that length when dealing with a crotch/knot. I've bee happy with it and have yet to find a round it won't split. For me, he 35 would have been overkill and a waste of cash.

The first few times I moved it, it was quite heavy, but then I lifted the tongue high to maneuver it... The weight went to zero. I'm guessing the same would be true with the 35. Getting the splitter to that position requires less muscle than lifting a decent sized round.

Does anyone have experience with the 4-way wedge on the DHT? It seems like a decent time saver for 6-10" or maybe 12" rounds.

Yes i have a DHT 4way
I have 2 splitters 1 is a DHT 22 ton and a DHT 27 ton with the 4way on it
On the 6 to 10 " rounds its quick one pass and 4 splits. Even the larger rounds i pass through it. When you put the wedge on you have a choice of 3 positions

I have a 22 ton Huskee that is 3 years old. I've never put a round on it I couldn't split and believe me I have put some monsters up there. My biggest complaint about the splitter is the cycle time, but I never doubt it's ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how good a product this is, but Rugged Made has splitters with lift arms relatively cheap.

I have also found my 22 ton so far has split everything I have put on it.

Ya know, this is something I was going to ask, and you posted an example. Of a reasonably priced splitter that has a lift. That looks really interesting!

Captain Hornet has the routine figured out. I use his method. My 22 ton from Menards has served us well. Bought it new at $1000 roughly. No issues.

I use an Ariens 22Ton. I love it and is plenty of juice.

I have a 25t.. I dont see the need to spend cash on a 35t... Its all hear say anyways. Really the cycle time is more important than what the companies claim the tonnage is. If you look, most larger claims still have same size ram but larger motors... The increase in tonnage is the hydro capability, and if you dont increase the hydro flow your not going to get much if any increased tonnage.

I like a 'smallish' one that can go vertical when you want. No lifting of heavy rounds required, and it is small enough to move around & re-situate by hand if needed. And doesn't take up as much room if you want to park it inside somewhere.

the common 20 ton will get 99% of everything done- horz/vertical is like chevy vs ford. Unless you are on a hard surface trying to move big rounds into the spliter in the vert. mode can be a royal pain ( size dependent of course- one person's big is another's medium) Overloading the machine with a large round has its own problems in either orientation namely excessive stress on beam /push plate/ wedge. Not to mention where the two pieces are going to end up. Can be quite exciting on occasion. I routinely split 30" rounds but my splitter is built for that kind of stress. I lift them with tractor bucket, chain and tongs or strap. bust them down to people size and proceed. Hydro lift- well personally that's one more thing to trip over and then I can only operate from one side.- not a big deal i guess. Jib crane is other option with a powered winch on it and tongs, I think this more advantageous than the fixed position lift as it can be used to drag a bigun over ( they aren't all nice and round so some don't like to roll at all, tools not withstanding) I routinely do about 10 cords a year and like you various parts of me do not function like they did many many moons ago. have fun and watch out for large flying tooth picks. Forgot to say I do everything in Horz. only thing I found the vertical good for was less space for storage.