How can I tell if my circulator pump is on his way out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamant

Sep 30, 2007
What are the symptoms of a circulator pump going? I think it's a Taco 007! Outside temp is 182 at the boiler and in the house it's coming in at 155 and return is 142 to 145 measured by a remote smoker thermometer which I'm sure is not as accurate.

Curious on this. I have a Taco 007 on my primary loop that has basically run continuously for the last 9 years. I unplug the boiler in the summer but this pump stays running.

What is the hr life of one of these?

Being that this pump is installed outside it would be a pain to change in the middle of a cold spell.

Symptoms are usually noise for a failed bearing. The other failure is a stuck impeller caused by crappy fluid conditions.

Normal use should be 15-20 years under best operating conditions.

Excessive stop and starts shorten the life of any motor.

Centrifugal pumps do like to have some positive pressure on the suction side, maybe 4 psi at 180 temperatures. Outdoor open systems do not always assure that and pumps fail prematurely on those systems. Always have a spare and valves on both sides for quick, easy replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.