How can I turn on the second pump when enough zones open?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
My tarm is in the 'garage' on the first floor, with a grundfos 15-58 circ on the back, in the typical way. I have a second 15-58 in series with the first one (about 35 feet away) near the distribution manifold in the cellar.

My house has 5 zones (each with its own zone valve), when only 1-4 zones are calling for heat, the one pump does a fine job, but once that 5th zone opens, the water doesn't want to move (so I flip the switch on the second pump).

I could run both pumps all the time to solve my problem, but is there a type of circuit/relay setup that would tell the pump to run only if more than 'X' number of zones are open at the same time?

current sensing relay, run the wire threw it that powers all the zone valve motors ( but no other loads) and set it for the combined load of the number of zones you want on before second pump comes on.

You could put a relay on every zone valve & wire the pump in series thru the contacts - so when all (5) coils are energized, the pump will start.

Or you could get a cheap programmable controller/relay that will close an output (pump start) when all (5) inputs (zone valves) are on.

I can provide more detail info if you need it, just PM me.

Hi
Get a Grundfos Alpha pump.It will automaticly come on when it sences the zones opening.Falls into the KISS catagory.
That was the answer when i was looking for the same solution.
Thomas

I just checked out that pump, it is pretty impressive (but pricey @ $240). It would do the trick - but might take a while to pay for itself in reduced energy usage.

How bout using the end switch on your zone valves (if equipped...most are) to activate a set of contacts??? Just throwing it out there.

2 pumps + cost of control + wiring = more than the cost of a VS circ?

Status
Not open for further replies.