How clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow&Flame

Minister of Fire
Jun 6, 2011
Central Arkansas
Hey guys,

I have had no time to even lurk here for quite a while. It just seems like there is never enough time.
Weather is too hot to do anything with the woodpiles and with a burn ban I cant even fire up the pit;hm
I had a question about how clean to get the bottom of the stove. Do I need to pull all the firebricks
out and vacuum all the ash out, or just clean up the top of the bricks? I had the sweep come out and
he said that everything was clean in the stove and the liner. I have a bone to pick with that guy, but I
will wait to talk about that situation until he comes clean or not....

Take it easy and thanks for all the info you provide on this website.

S&F

I wouldn't bother. The gaps between the firebricks are just going to fill back up with ash. I use a vacuum in the firebox, but I'm don't spend any extra effort trying to get those gaps clean, I just let 'em be. The only time I've ever cleaned more thoroughly than that is when I replaced one or more firebricks, then they all come out & the steel box gets vacuumed clean. Rick

I wouldn't bother. The gaps between the firebricks are just going to fill back up with ash. I use a vacuum in the firebox, but I'm don't spend any extra effort trying to get those gaps clean, I just let 'em be. The only time I've ever cleaned more thoroughly than that is when I replaced one or more firebricks, then they all come out & the steel box gets vacuumed clean. Rick

Thats what I was thinking. Seems like it would help to insulate the bottom a bit better on the first burn as well.
Just worried about moisture building up in the ash and causing rust...humidity here is a monster.

>
I have a bone to pick with that guy, but I
will wait to talk about that situation until he comes clean or not....

S&F

Did he not do the job correctly? It should be pretty easy to inspect the liner and see if he swept it. Was he supposed to clean the stove as well?

>

Did he not do the job correctly? It should be pretty easy to inspect the liner and see if he swept it. Was he supposed to clean the stove as well?

The cleaning job isnt the issue. There is a problem with the install and I will have to talk with him about fixing it.
I am hopeful that he will fix it without too much fussing....

Thats what I was thinking. Seems like it would help to insulate the bottom a bit better on the first burn as well.
Just worried about moisture building up in the ash and causing rust...humidity here is a monster.

Many places fight with the high humidity. However, although it gets uncomfortable for us, the stove doesn't mind at all. Lots of times we don't even vacuum the ashes. Just scoop out what we can and forget it. For sure we give the stove a once over, and sometimes a twiceover to make sure all is well but it doesn't take very long. That is what I like; quick and easy.

Many places fight with the high humidity. However, although it gets uncomfortable for us, the stove doesn't mind at all. Lots of times we don't even vacuum the ashes. Just scoop out what we can and forget it. For sure we give the stove a once over, and sometimes a twiceover to make sure all is well but it doesn't take very long. That is what I like; quick and easy.

Good deal. I am all about quick and easy...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.