How close can I get my stove to the wall? Questions about NFPA 211

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
My Amesti N380 is rated for 16" wall clearance on the sides. It says in the manual that you can use wall shields to reduce the clearance as per NFPA 211. From my understanding, doing a wall shield like that will reduce clearances by 2/3. IE - instead of 16" clearance you would be fine with 5.28". I was planning on having my stove 8" from the wall using Imperial stove boards for wall protection spaced one inch out from the wall. Then I was reading on Imperials site: http://www.imperialgroup.ca/stove_stoveboardsheatshields.cfm?c=345 that you can "reduce the clearance between the appliance and combustible materials by as much as 67% to a minimum of 12â€.

Does this mean I can't get closer than 12" or just that using THOSE stove boards I can't get closer than 12"? Anyone know if NFPA 211 allows for closer clearances given my situation?

Nevermind, I signed up for a free account at NFPA.org and read the rules myself. It can't get closer than 12" with protection unless the stove manufacture implicitly states otherwise. So in other words, I can go from 16" down to 12" but that's it. Now I get to explain that to the wife...

Webmaster said:
You are correct! The min. is 12" no matter what!

I wish someone would have caught that on one of my threads 6 months ago! Oh well. Looks like Lowes will take the Amesti back even though I bought it in March and I found a 17-VL (actually the SVL-17 or whatever the Summers Heat one is) for $700 that we'll be getting. The clearances are much better on that and I won't even need to buy heat shielding. So, $400 back from the Amesti, $700 for the 17, and save $200 for not buying heat shields. That means a net loss of only $100 and it really is a better stove, plus it's made here in the USA and even more importantly, I get to join the Englander club here.

$700 for a VL-17. I just saw a NC-13 for $625 at HD a couple days ago.

kingquad said:

That's what they go for. I can get a 13 for $550 at Lowes, but it won't fit in the tight area we have to put it. And trust me, I've gone over the floor plan a billion times with my wife, this is the only place she'll let me put it (and admittedly, the only one that makes much sense anyway). The 17 fits perfect and originally was my stove of choice. To save money we got the Amesti and (due to my lack of knowledge of codes and thinking we could go sub 12" clearance with protection) I thought it would fit.

joecool85 said:
kingquad said:

That's what they go for. I can get a 13 for $550 at Lowes, but it won't fit in the tight area we have to put it. And trust me, I've gone over the floor plan a billion times with my wife, this is the only place she'll let me put it (and admittedly, the only one that makes much sense anyway). The 17 fits perfect and originally was my stove of choice. To save money we got the Amesti and (due to my lack of knowledge of codes and thinking we could go sub 12" clearance with protection) I thought it would fit.
Does that include the blower? www.overstockstoves.com is selling it for $649 w/blower. Might be worth a look if you've got a shipping terminal close by.

kingquad said:
joecool85 said:
kingquad said:

Does that include the blower? www.overstockstoves.com is selling it for $649 w/blower. Might be worth a look if you've got a shipping terminal close by.

I'm waiting on them to get back to me. I need to install the stove this weekend so I can enlist the help of my brother who is moving to New Jersey on Sunday. They said they probably can't get it to me before then but they will be getting back to me this morning with an ETA of I order from them. I don't feel I need the blower anyway, but to save $50 AND get a free blower would be cool.

Webmaster said:

I'm putting my Equinox + double wall stove pipe, within 8" and no wall protection because the manual says with a factory shield I can go as close as 6" measured from the body of the stove, not the shield.

So it all depends on the stove.

Webmaster said:

What if the wall is NOT flammable as in Stone ,Cement Ect. I would thnk it would not matter than.

mhrischuk said:
Webmaster said:

I'm putting my Equinox + double wall stove pipe, within 8" and no wall protection because the manual says with a factory shield I can go as close as 6" measured from the body of the stove, not the shield.

So it all depends on the stove.

If you check what I had posted, I mentioned that. The code states that shields can only be used to reduce clearance down to 12" UNLESS stated otherwise in the owner's manual for that stove.

trump said:
Webmaster said:

What if the wall is NOT flammable as in Stone ,Cement Ect. I would thnk it would not matter than.

If the wall AND nothing behind the wall for the given distance is not flammable, then yes. IE - if you have a 2" brick wall behind the stove but behind the brick is 2x4 bracing, you would measure the distance between the 2x4 and the stove. Or at least that is my understanding.

I was responding the the webmaster's post ("no matter what").

joecool85 said:
mhrischuk said:
Webmaster said:

trump said:
Webmaster said:

If the wall AND nothing behind the wall for the given distance is not flammable, then yes. IE - if you have a 2" brick wall behind the stove but behind the brick is 2x4 bracing, you would measure the distance between the 2x4 and the stove. Or at least that is my understanding.

I was planning to use metal studs

I was planning to use metal studs and cement board behind brick

BeGreen said:

Like I said a few posts ago, I know about that. Unfortunately I need the stove for this weekend (brother who is helping me on install is moving to NJ on Sunday). I wouldn't have put myself in this spot but I thought the Amesti would fit and it turns out it doesn't - now I need a stove quick. To me, it's worth "losing" $50 and a blower to be able to have the stove today rather than sometime next week and have to install it all by myself or pay a guy to install it.

The good news is Brother Bart will be sending you your T-shirt any day now. ;)

firefighterjake said:
The good news is Brother Bart will be sending you your T-shirt any day now. ;)

After I get it installed I'll share all kinds of pics. I plan on having pics of it outside doing it's burn in, pics of the installation in progress and pics of it finished.

Well that worked out pretty well then. I think you'll be impressed with how much more heat comes out of these stoves with the fan running.

jeeper said:
Well that worked out pretty well then. I think you'll be impressed with how much more heat comes out of these stoves with the fan running.

Yeah, now I just need to get my geek on and wire up a thermostatic switch for the fan.

A simple metal bracket underneath the firebox utilizing the screws for the air intake works well for mine. :)

jeeper said:
A simple metal bracket underneath the firebox utilizing the screws for the air intake works well for mine. :)

You mean you added a manual switch, a thermostatic switch or you relocated the fan so it's easier to get at?

I have a thermostatic switch ( aka: snap disc) that I added and mounted under the firebox of the stove to the right side of the air intake box.

jeeper said:
I have a thermostatic switch ( aka: snap disc) that I added and mounted under the firebox of the stove to the right side of the air intake box.

Thats almost exactly what I want to do. Where did you get yours? Is it adjustable or set to a specific temp? How do you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.