How close to back wall for T6?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakII

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2011
Eastern Ontario
According to the CMHC guide for installation of wood stoves I mounted a heat shield on my wall (spaced out 1 inch) with cement board over it and soon to be brick veneer over it, I can reduce the listed clearance on the stove by 67%. By my calculations I can be as close as 2.5 inches from the wall. Is this right or am I reading the stove label wrong?

The clearance is 6" to the rear, combustible wall if using double-wall pipe, or 9" for single-wall pipe. A proper NFPA heat shield (open at least 1" at bottom and top) should reduce the clearances down 2/3ds. or 2" from the combustible wall (dbl wall) or 3" if sgl., but the final decision is up to the local authority. Note that is from the combustible wall. With the brick veneer, getting that close may be near impossible. Did you mean 2.5" from the brick wall? If yes, that should be ok within a good margin.

Sorry kodiak but cement board in ontario will only get you 50% reduction. To get the 67% reduction you have to use a minimum of 22 gauge sheet metal. Did you also leave a 2-3 inch gap at the floor? as it's required as well to allow airflow which in turn then cools the wall.

My stove is 20 inches from the wall.

skinanbones said:
Sorry kodiak but cement board in ontario will only get you 50% reduction. To get the 67% reduction you have to use a minimum of 22 gauge sheet metal. Did you also leave a 2-3 inch gap at the floor? as it's required as well to allow airflow which in turn then cools the wall.

Not just cement board, the heat shield I referred to that the cement board is the 22 gauge sheet metal. Air gaps at the floor and ceiling were also installed as per cmhc wood burning guide. I was also careful to use fasteners that did not go from the surface of the cement board into the studs below.
Guide can be downloaded at link below, handy to have for reference material.

https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/catalog/download.cfm?lang=en&pdf=66067.pdf&fr=1327975335000

Wow, and some folks here think NFPA specs are conservative! Add the metal to be compliant, but I can tell ya that the T6 is pretty cool behind and with a brick veneer on cement board, with ventilation top and bottom the temps behind the heat shield are going to be at ambient room temp. This is getting into overkill territory. I would just go for the 50% reduction to 3".

Note: according to this doc the minimum bottom air space is the same as in the US - 1". 3" is the maximum gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.