How cold is it?...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bboulier

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2010
NE Virginia
I am guessing that it must be pretty cold. The response time ,on hearth.com has reduced to a crawl, indicating high fire and internet use. (In summer, access speed are extremely high, as there are few posts.) In VA, we are anticipating "high temps" below 35 tomorrow. Guess many of you are worse off.

We're at 19* and falling. I don't think of it as worse off. I can load the stove and not cook us out of the house, and I can cut and split without breaking too much of a sweat.

Schortie,

I was always taught that splitting wood provided a double benefit, once when split and once when burned. No doubt this is true. I split some wood the other day. My neighbors may have complained about the cold, but I felt fine.

Don't think it got out of the 20's today.

Yep. Virginia is in the icebox right now. And for the foreseeable future. We are doing January highs and lows and these winds are doing record wind chills. I may not be able to brag about that "just three cords a year with the EPA stove" this season. Seventy five down stairs and seventy two upstairs. Hope the guy on the place next to me that laughs at me burning wood got a propane delivery lately.

But he will be fine. I heard him drop a tree today. It should burn fine for him tonight. :coolsmirk: It was close to his house and I heard a large "crash'. Started over to see if I needed to call 911 but I heard somebody else cursing loudly so I figured he had help at hand. Then later I hear a lot of hammering and nailing.

right now i have 0 f with a 10 mph wind. whats the chill factor??? we have been below freezing all month so far and will probably not see above freezing until "jan thaw" which usually comes in feb!

You aint seen nothing yet, the cold weather should be arriving with a vengeance within a week, you guys in the upper midwest and lakes region are going to be below zero. Snows piling up in the mountains so the skiing should be great.

yooperdave said:
right now i have 0 f with a 10 mph wind. whats the chill factor??? we have been below freezing all month so far and will probably not see above freezing until "jan thaw" which usually comes in feb!

Let's compare again in July when it is over a hundred here. :lol: Wanna do temp swing differences?

17 °F and windy. Cold at work because the heat is broken. Cold at home because I'm not home to load the stove.
I'm finally warming up for the first time all day.

It's 21deg right now where I'm at, I think it feels great, refreshing! I actually had to take my coat off for abit earlier when I was splitting wood. I hate it when the temps outside start getting over 80 I just feel like I can't move! To be honest with you I like all 4 seasons we have here in Michigan because just about when you start getting sick of one, another starts. ;)

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
17 °F and windy. Cold at work because the heat is broken. Cold at home because I'm not home to load the stove.
I'm finally warming up for the first time all day.

Back when we both worked forty miles from here and commuted together it was God help anybody that got between us and the door at five o'clock because we had to get back here before the stove burned down and cooled down too far.

This year I have a lot of late afternoon meetings :mad: I have two herding dogs at home. I'm pretty sure, with the right training, they could learn to load the stove.

RedGuy said:
To be honest with you I like all 4 seasons we have here in Michigan because just about when you start getting sick of one, another starts. ;)

A good friend got transferred here from Florida in the middle of January. When we picked him and his family up at the airport there was a couple of feet of snow on the ground and the wind was blowing like crazy. He walked into the airport and said "The change of seasons is highly overrated.".

BrotherBart said:
He walked into the airport and said "The change of seasons is highly overrated.".

:lol:
I had that frame of mind this morning. I am on an outside duty rotation. With the cold and the wind whipping across the valley I'm thinking "I left Hawaii for this?!" Love it here, but there are moments....

BrotherBart said:
RedGuy said:
To be honest with you I like all 4 seasons we have here in Michigan because just about when you start getting sick of one, another starts. ;)

A good friend got transferred here from Florida in the middle of January. When we picked him and his family up at the airport there was a couple of feet of snow on the ground and the wind was blowing like crazy. He walked into the airport and said "The change of seasons is highly overrated.".

Well even I don't do well in that transition! A few years ago I made the mistake of taking a cruise in the Caribian for a week in the begining of January and it was harsh going from a week of sun and mid 70's to the frozen tundra! LOL Next time I'll take one closer to the end of spring.;)

7 degrees outside right now with both rocks cruising along low and slow. 78 both upstairs and down. Looks like next week will be well below zero. Ice fishing season has begun.

Since I kept the house warm today the night load has the joint up to eighty down stairs right now Too warm but the barn will be fine in the morning. And I will continue to just sleep under a sheet as is the custom here.

-1 °F here right now, not much change up or down at this time of the season. There is a good chance it will go down (a bunch) but the going up part don't look good until April.

Sunny. Highs in the low 50's, lows in the high 20's. The storm that is ravaging most of the country is pivoting around us like a Duc on a perfectly banked mountain road. Didn't light a fire upstairs today. Unreal weather for December.

It would take very cold temperatures to slow down the internet but it does appear to have slowed down hearth.com lately. As for how much the speed of light is slowed by temperature, here is an interesting article.
Scientists Put the Deep Freeze on Light
and Slow It Down to 38 Miles Per Hour!
http://www.jupiterscientific.org/sciinfo/slowlight.html

Yeah I'd say a high of -35* is a bit cold!

Been around 10-15* here, fairly warm to be working outside compared to last week when it was 5* and 70mph wind.

Unless you live in Fairbanks no one on here will be able to beat the temp swing. It's something near 150* temp swing.

BrotherBart said:
yooperdave said:

Let's compare again in July when it is over a hundred here. :lol: Wanna do temp swing differences?

0°F right now. Forecast high of 15°F, again.

19 now was 16 yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.