How come modern woodstoves don’t have microprocessor controls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Webmaster said:
Sounds like some luddites here -

Oh, what? I'm a luddite because my cell phone can't take pictures? (I don't even know how to retrieve voice mail...gotta let the wife handle that :red: ). If I were a real luddite, not only would I not be on this computer right now, but I'd be trying to provide warmth in our home for me and my loved ones all through the winter using nothing more technologically advanced than a woodburning stove. Oh wait...that's exactly what I do...nevermind. :coolsmile: Rick

fossil said:
We're gonna have to start focusing on shielding and insulation here, because the space that houses the computer and associated electronics for the stove controls should be in close proximity, but air-conditioned. ;-P Rick

Why couldn't the CPU be located away from the stove, with only the sensors located in the high temp regions?

I'm being mildly fascetious. It's all feasible, of course. I was involved in projects to bring old fossil fuel fired shipboard propulsion plants into the 21st century, and the sensors used for temperature, pressure, air flow, fuel flow, and every other parameter that needed measuring were purpose-built to withstand the conditions in which they were installed. The CPU was remote from the heat, as were the displays and workstations. Anything can be designed and built, and as an engineer I have a deep seated appreciation for the innovative solutions that we're able to come up with to meet those types of needs. I just think a woodstove is a pretty simple system that doesn't cry out for (or necessarily benefit from) a lot of high tech. But hey, don't get me wrong, I'm a real fan of technology. Rick

VTZJ said:
fossil said:
We're gonna have to start focusing on shielding and insulation here, because the space that houses the computer and associated electronics for the stove controls should be in close proximity, but air-conditioned. ;-P Rick

Why couldn't the CPU be located away from the stove, with only the sensors located in the high temp regions?

VTZJ: These issues have already been addressed and solved. Why hasn't this been done? It WAS done, sort-of, by developing pellet stoves. Over the past few years, development resources have been focused on gas stoves and pellet stoves since these market segments have shown robust growth, while cordwood stove sales have been flat or even declining at times. Look for the first volume cordwood stove(s) to come out with SmartStove (TM) technology at HPBA this coming Feb.

Dan
www.inveninc.com

[quote author="ControlFreak" date="1222387509 These issues have already been addressed and solved. Why hasn't this been done? It WAS done, sort-of, by developing pellet stoves. Over the past few years, development resources have been focused on gas stoves and pellet stoves since these market segments have shown robust growth, while cordwood stove sales have been flat or even declining at times. Look for the first volume cordwood stove(s) to come out with SmartStove (TM) technology at HPBA this coming Feb.

Dan
www.inveninc.com[/quote]

Now that's interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.