How do I attach Durock to steel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawnman323

Dec 16, 2007
N. Mich.
I have my Lennox doors now and am durocking the steel facia on my lennox zc unit. My local brick dealer told me to use high-temp silicone to attach the schluter strip to the steel, but how do I attach the durock?

Thank you in advance.

Scott

There are screws made just for Durock. And HD, Lowes or hardware store should have them.

Screws...

Webmaster said:
The screws will self drill right into the sheet metal - I think regular sheet rock screws do this.

Regular sheet rock screws will snap when trying to pull down Durock. Best to use the screws meant for Durock, since they have a larger head to pull it down, without pulling through.

Sandor said:
Webmaster said:
The screws will self drill right into the sheet metal - I think regular sheet rock screws do this.

Regular sheet rock screws will snap when trying to pull down Durock. Best to use the screws meant for Durock, since they have a larger head to pull it down, without pulling through.

Very correct and they have a larger shank for gripping purposes. If you don't have the spec sheet for Durock try this:

http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Co...d_Submittal_Sheets/CB198_Durock_Cement_Bd.pdf

If you want to go overboard... also run a bead of silicone down the face of the metal studs.

Webmaster said:

The Durock documentation specifically states NOT to use sheet rock screws. There are special screws intended just for use with cement boards, and those are what should be used. The Durock info sheets have more info as to the exact specs, and lengths required.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.