How Do I Begin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an effecta lambda 35 boiler and it has a specially designed "smoke evacuation port" above the door opening that sucks the smoke out the chimney.

This smoke evacuation port practically eliminates the "smoke out the door" problem that is very common on positive pressure gasification boilers such as EKO, Biomass etc.

The effecta lambda 35 boiler has the exhaust fan located on the rear of the boiler and thus sucks the air through the boiler rather than push it through the boiler like the positive pressure boilers which have the fan at the front of the boiler.

The lambda sensor on my effecta lambda 35 boiler works with the motherboard/control panel to automatically/continuously adjust the openings of the primary and secondary draft controls. One can compare the lambda sensor system and stepper motor draft control system on my lambda 35 boiler to an oxygen/acetylene torch. Properly adjusted the flame is very hot and can cut through a 1/2" plate of steel.

Finally, Yes, my effecta boiler can can have an effecta pellet boiler attached to the side of the boiler.

Thanks,

Brian

One big thing to make sure of is can you get all the controls and sensors and how long does it take to get replacements.

gg

Effecta Boiler User said:
I have an effecta lambda 35 boiler and it has a specially designed "smoke evacuation port" above the door opening that sucks the smoke out the chimney.

This smoke evacuation port practically eliminates the "smoke out the door" problem that is very common on positive pressure gasification boilers such as EKO, Biomass etc.

The effecta lambda 35 boiler has the exhaust fan located on the rear of the boiler and thus sucks the air through the boiler rather than push it through the boiler like the positive pressure boilers which have the fan at the front of the boiler.

The lambda sensor on my effecta lambda 35 boiler works with the motherboard/control panel to automatically/continuously adjust the openings of the primary and secondary draft controls. One can compare the lambda sensor system and stepper motor draft control system on my lambda 35 boiler to an oxygen/acetylene torch. Properly adjusted the flame is very hot and can cut through a 1/2" plate of steel.

Finally, Yes, my effecta boiler can can have an effecta pellet boiler attached to the side of the boiler.

Thanks,

Brian

My EKO has zero smoke out the door problem now that I know how to load and burn.

Thanks,

Brian

Biomass has the rear exhaust fan as well. Smoke out the door seems to be a problem for most newbies (it was for me) but once you learn when and how to open the door the problem goes away.

mikefrommaine said:
Biomass has the rear exhaust fan as well. Smoke out the door seems to be a problem for most newbies (it was for me) but once you learn when and how to open the door the problem goes away.

I would agree with that. I was getting a little smoke if I opened in the middle of a full burn, just because I had to peek at things.

If I want to re-load while burning (which I know isnt the most efficient way) I can open the bypass damper and that sucks all the smoke out, none in the house.

mikefrommaine said:

Thanks,

Brian

+1
Effecta Boiler "User" didn't mention Econoburn by name (it's one of the etc), but mine is in the basement along with a smoke detector located 14 feet away from the boiler (by the stairs which pulls air toward it). The only time the detector goes off is when I test it. Did smoke come out the door on day 1 - definitely yes. Did I figure out how to prevent it from happening - also yes. But, I was really pleased to discover that smoke out the door is a "problem that is very common", because that makes me "very uncommon" ;-)

Similar with my Tarm Solo Plus 40. Let it burn down, as already mentioned, and be sure to have adequate combustion air available to allow the natural draft to pull air into the firebox and out the flue, rather than the reverse. The Tarm is in my shop, heated space, and no smoke roll-out.

From what I've read, it looks like the Effecta is the least expensive lambda model. Is that true?
I'm thinking 35 would be too much for my house. Maybe I'd need more storage?

Do pellet boilers require storage, or can they follow the load with minimal loss of efficiency? I think there are lambda models for pellet too (Frohling?). Frohling seems quite expensive.

I just noticed that the EKO-25 requires an 8" flue. Is that typical?

The flue for my EKO 40 is necked down to 7". There is a few others that have necked them down to 6" and they work fine .I spent about $900 for a stainless insulated chimney. Its around 22' high , installed it myself and saved $1000 in labour.

velvetfoot said:
From what I've read, it looks like the Effecta is the least expensive lambda model. Is that true?
I'm thinking 35 would be too much for my house. Maybe I'd need more storage?

Do pellet boilers require storage, or can they follow the load with minimal loss of efficiency? I think there are lambda models for pellet too (Frohling?). Frohling seems quite expensive.

I just noticed that the EKO-25 requires an 8" flue. Is that typical?

Pellet boilers typically dont need significant storage, since they can vary the output to meet the load from your house fairly quickly. Its not like with wood where combustion has to be stopped in order to match the load, it will just slow your feed rate. There may be a lambda for pellets, but I wouldnt think that it is worth it. I know pellets will vary depending on what they are made from and which batch you have, but if you buy in bulk, that entire load will probably be the same. You could make adjustments once and just be done with it. Just my thoughts (from a guy that doesnt burn pellets, so take that for what its worth)

The flue thing was one of the reasons that I ended up with my Varmebaronen, since it can vent in a really small/short flue. I had a masonry chimney that was for an old oil furnace that was somewhat short, and I didnt think it would meet the draft requirements for most models. I didnt have the money to extend the chimney or put in a new stainless one.

Thanks. I got kind of sticker shocked just looking at ss chimney parts, never mind all the rest!

I can see a pellet boiler perhaps, with the potential of same cost for unit, less for venting, and nothing for storage. Operating costs would for me still be somewhat indexed to the price of oil since I currently have to buy my wood whether in. log form or split. Cost of pellets would probably be around cost of split wood.

A guy at work put in a geothermal heat pump. I can see that commodity price being less decoupled from the price of oil, evev here, and the numbers seem way better than oil. Big capital costs though.

Solar would prob. be best, but most liklely not for my place's situation.

I'm in the middle of processing anotherr tri axle load of logs, so I could see that value of being more relaxed about obraining fuel. :) .

henfruit said:
Could you break that down .

Boiler=
loading valve= What type=
freight=

Thank you

$7500 boiler $600 loading valve laddomat . I know from being quoted a price. I wouldn't have the foggiest about shipping.

henfruit said:
Could you break that down .

Boiler=
loading valve= What type=
freight=

Thank you

What are the list prices for the boilers you sell?

velvetfoot said:
Thanks. I got kind of sticker shocked just looking at ss chimney parts, never mind all the rest!

I can see a pellet boiler perhaps, with the potential of same cost for unit, less for venting, and nothing for storage. Operating costs would for me still be somewhat indexed to the price of oil since I currently have to buy my wood whether in. log form or split. Cost of pellets would probably be around cost of split wood.

A guy at work put in a geothermal heat pump. I can see that commodity price being less decoupled from the price of oil, evev here, and the numbers seem way better than oil. Big capital costs though.

Solar would prob. be best, but most liklely not for my place's situation.

I'm in the middle of processing anotherr tri axle load of logs, so I could see that value of being more relaxed about obraining fuel. :) .

I was there too, and was looking hard at the Tarm Solo 40, since you can use it without storage (at the sacrifice of efficiency). I do know there are others represented here that can do the same, but the Tarm was one I could see and watch operate.
Through a contact at my day job, I ended up finding three tanks that were going to be scrapped that were free if I would come pick them up. So for the cost of a budget truck rental and gas, I got three tanks that would fit into my basement, and my options for boilers opened up.

I scavenge some of my wood, but I also have to buy the majority of it. I like wood over the pellets just because its not something that gets manufactured, so its less likely that the cost of it will spin out of control. Pellets arent something I can get myself.

Ooops, I meant more decoupled. Didn't get much sleep obsessing over this stuff.

Yes, then you have pellet plants burning up, and the like. Then, too, maybe the emerald ash borer quarentene could have an effect have on wood supply.

The concept, anyway, of a lambda wood boiler is very attractive.

velvetfoot said:
The Irleh looks interesting. One wonders how easy it'll be to get spare parts in the US in the future with any of these.
http://smokelessheat.com/productpage.aspx?pid=45

Parts availability was a concern for me as well. Some boilers utilize more off the shelf parts than others. Other than the nozzle and controller there is not much on some of the 'simpler' boilers that someone who is handy couldn't repair themselves.

I don't know much about the IRLEH other than looking at the link provided. But the rear chamber design is interesting. The way the ashes would drop into the ash pan instead of the bottom chamber seems like it might be easier to clean. And being able to clean the heat exchanger while the fire is burning is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.