How do I connect black pipe to new liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pm01

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2008
VA
I know this must sound silly, but when you install a liner, how do you connect the black pipe from a stove to the stainless steel "snout" coming through the thimble?

With my old terra cotta and masonry flue and thimble, I would just slide the black pipe all the way into the thimble and use a little furnace cement to seal any gaps. I'm getting ready to install a 6-inch stainless liner, so I'm test fitting everything before I try to install it. I discovered today that my Ventis single wall pipe section won't fit over the snout coming from the liner.

I bought the liner and the black pipe from Rockford Chimney Supply. When I called them for help, the rep said I was the only person he'd talked to in 3 years who'd had a problem with this. So... I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do other people connect their black pipe to their liners?

It isn't uncommon to have to use a crimping tool and crimp either the snout or the pipe. Crimping the pipe would violate the "directional" rule for connector pipe fittings but sealing the connection with furnace cement should make it leak free. Another option is the short male to male pipe connectors available.

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have mentioned that Rockford crimped the snout before shipping it to me (their recommended way to fit into the Ventis black pipe). The crimps are about 7/8" long. I can only fit the female end of the black pipe about 1/2" over the snout before it seizes. That's not even far enough to reach the four screw holes in the black pipe.

Oddly enough, the 90-degree Ventis elbow that I purchased slips right over the snout all the way to the 1.5" mark. It's the straight pipe that I need to fit, and it just won't go beyond 1/2". I've looked for obstructions in the straight pipe, and there aren't any. It's strange to me that the straight pipe and the elbow seem to have different sizes on the female end.

Maybe I need to buy another piece of straight pipe and hope it fits. Are most of the 22 gauge pipe brands interchangeable with each other?

You may try tapping in on the rest of the way with a block of wood over the end of the pipe(obviously you don't want to get crazy with the hammer) or try to crimp the snout a little more.

If you put a tape on the elbow and the straight piece do they measure up any different?

rdust said:
You may try tapping in on the rest of the way with a block of wood over the end of the pipe(obviously you don't want to get crazy with the hammer) or try to crimp the snout a little more.

I was gonna suggest that but the problem is that you are banging against that tee in the chimney and the snout connection to it. Not a good thing. I do it with pipe sitting out on the floor but wouldn't in this situation.

Either deepen the crimp with a fresh pair of crimpers, or make a 1.5" slit on the snout front edge so that it can give enough to allow the black connector pipe to slide further back. Then screw together with 3 screws.

BrotherBart said:
I was gonna suggest that but the problem is that you are banging against that tee in the chimney and the snout connection to it. Not a good thing. I do it with pipe sitting out on the floor but wouldn't in this situation.

This is true, mine is mortared in so a little tapping didn't hurt mine at all. I'd say the best bet would be trying what BeGreen suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.