How to remove last piece of old pipe from thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Casadecorgz

Mar 25, 2023
Bath, ME
Hi! I had a stainless liner installed last year. I’m having a new wood stove installed as well. I’m trying to remove all the pieces ahead of install.

As you can see, where my thimble is there’s a small piece of piping connecting to my liner T. When I pull on it this piece comes out only a few inches not enough to unscrew it. I supposed I could reach some pliers in there and do it, but then I’m confused how the new install guys will install their piece

Should I just leave this on and have them hook into this? Or is there a trick to pulling it out more? Please see photos for reference

IMG_7390.jpeg IMG_7391.jpeg

That piece should not have been permanently attached like it is since it’s not stainless. It’s also inserted into your tee snout rather over it like it should be.
Have the guys installing the stove remove the tee snout and this piece, and replace the snout extension with a stainless steel pipe. Make sure to let them know before they come so they can be prepared.

That piece should not have been permanently attached like it is since it’s not stainless. It’s also inserted into your tee snout rather over it like it should be.
Have the guys installing the stove remove the tee snout and this piece, and replace the snout extension with a stainless steel pipe. Make sure to let them know before they come so they can be prepared.
How does removing the tee snout work? Will they have to pull the liner out? Or can it be done at the thimble?

It’s a 2 piece tee. There is a band clamp that hold the 2 pieces together. You can see it on the right side of the tee where the 2 pieces join. Just have to add a few long extensions to a 5/16” nut driver.

It’s a 2 piece tee. There is a band clamp that hold the 2 pieces together. You can see it on the right side of the tee where the 2 pieces join. Just have to add a few long extensions to a 5/16” nut driver.
I see it! I cleaned it out and it looks good. My new chimney installer said if the wall is all heat resistant then it’s not an issue? Should I reject that explanation and push for the stainless steel extension?

I see it! I cleaned it out and it looks good. My new chimney installer said if the wall is all heat resistant then it’s not an issue? Should I reject that explanation and push for the stainless steel extension?
The issue in this case is corrosion over time. If the pipe deteriorates inside the thimble, there is a risk. For this reason, steel stove pipe is not allowed outside of the room envelope. He should know that.

Reactions: webby3650
It should be changed out. Make sure they know you expect to pay for it. The issue is it will fail at some point, and no one knows when.