1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How Do I Get An Energy Audit Done?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by thephotohound, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. got wood?

got wood? New Member

Loc:
    Acton, MA
    I agree with you Rhonemas...it's a minimal payback if the windows are recent...I just replaced my original windows in my house (built 1900) so it has made a pretty significant difference compared to the rattly old weight and sash single pane windows. I don't expect a payback in efficiency, but definitely a payback when it comes time to sell this place. As you pointed out, it soft costs will most likely be recouped.

Funny thing is that about 40 minutes ago a fella from MassSaves just finished the combustion test on my house and I'm about to get some blown in cellulose insulation (and by about I mean 4-6 weeks out). Zero insulation in my walls, so this will be a good thing. I'll focus on air leakage with the basement windows and doors and hope to have this place brought into the 1960s by paying a fella to cram shredded newspaper into my walls. It's 50% covered up to $1500 so I qualify for the full $1500. The payback in energy costs will not be until 4-5 years according to their `calculators', but again, it's an investment in the house that I can `sell' to the next owner later on.

And in the end...it's the right thing to do...less fossil fuel, less wood...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.