How do I know ? ? ? ? if I have enough draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bimmerFAITH

Oct 12, 2010
Metro Atlanta
I installed my replacement insert (Lopi Freedom) & lined the chimney with a SS 6" flex liner.

I lit a fire last night around 8 p.m. and damped it down around 10 p.m. This afternoon at about 2 p.m. I touched the still hot(warm) stove and got curious about what was going on inside. Upon opening the door I found about 1/4 the load I started last night still there with a nice bed of hot coals. Would this be possible if I had a low draft situation? I mean really . . . 14 hours with lots hot coals still smoldering?

My chimney is only 10' from top of insert to top of flue and does not extend above the peak of the roof, so draft is a concern for me with the new stove. My last stove seemed like it might suck my dog through the air intake if she got too close, but this one is very much different being an EPA stove.

Please help me set some expectations. How can I tell if I have enough draft . . . or too little?

imo you have a sufficient draft and that's a good thing.

You seem to think that unburned wood and a bunch of coals in the morning is a good thing. Sounds to me like a long, smoldering burn caused by insufficient draft for the new stove to me. Of course, I have no idea how far you "damped it down", but a 14-hour burn with wood still left in the 3 cu.ft. box is not efficient burning IMO. Others may (and already have) take another viewpoint.

Often, a flue that short can be a poor performer. But you did a great job of insulating the liner and it sounds like the stove is working about right. If it continues to work well under varying conditions, then it could be fine.

There seems to be a little concern about the rise above the roof. Does the install pass code? It must terminate at least 3' above the roof and at least 2' above any portion of the roof within 10'. If all is good, then don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.