1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How do I mod my saw?

Post in 'The Gear' started by infinitymike, Nov 25, 2012.

1. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Hey guys.
    I haven't done any research but can you point me in the direction to modify my stihl MS311.
    I'd like to find a set by step link.
    I guess I should first ask, is it worth it? Will it perform better but die sooner?
    In the 80's I had a truck with a B&M blower and Holley 650 and kept spinning out the connecting rod bearings.
    I don't want to do the same thing here.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Two main types of mods:

1.) Muffler mod
    2.) Engine porting

Muffler mods are much easier. They're also much less expensive to replace if you fubar one.

Do a search at Arboristsite.
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Simple things like muffler mods shouldn't negatively impact the overall life of the saw. Usually a muffler modification is cheap or free (except for labor ;) ) so it's up to you if it's "worth it". Lots of info over on AS about this kind of stuff but you may have to ask/look hard to find info for the MS311.
  4. RED FRONTIER

RED FRONTIER Member

Loc:
    Norwich CT
    I have a 1 year old ms311. 1 more year and I will be off warranty and looking at mods. Other wise great saw and flawless for the last year and at least 12 cord.
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I ran into the same thing, a lack of detailed instructions. Mostly my problem was with removing the carb adjustement limiters. The old saws which are often the topic of threads are different than the new saws. Even a modern 290 vs. an old screw cap version.

Be sure that you can adjust the carb before you begin cutting holes in your muffler.