How do I remove my auger?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Margo

Sep 12, 2008
Northeastern MA
I had an unprocessed piece of wood jam my auger. I managed to get it loose this time but it made me realize that I should know how to remove my augers which I've tried before. My problem is I can't locate the set screw. Is it behind the motor on the left is you're standing behind the stove looking at it. Is it a nut with a cone shaped nipple on it? Do need to remove the motor first? If so how?

Thanks in advance.

We need to know what stove make and model etc. we can get you apart if we have a bit more. :)

Give englander a call and ask for Mike if he doesn't spot this post. He's the lead tech and can get you pointed in the right direction. Englander has a good customer support.

Hello

It is easy, here is what I suggest
1. Unplug your stove.
2. remove all the pellets from the hopper
3. Remove the back panel
4. loosen the set screw on the auger collar, then pull the auger motor off the auger shaft.
5. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the auger bearing on the auger chute.
6. Pull out auger and auger bearing.

Reactions: mchasal
Thanks so much everyone for trying to help me. I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this. mchasal I had seen that pic and still couldn't figure where the wrench went. I finally had the stove shut down today and could take pics. This is the screw I was asking in the the first pic or is it the second pic?

Attachments

• P1010156.jpg
    P1010156.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 208
  • P1010153.JPG
    P1010153.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 177
I believe the bolt needed to be removed is the squared one. The set screw is on a bearing collar. Maybe Mike can catch this thread and correct if needed.

Reactions: Margo
Hi Margo, Don222 above gave you the right instructions. Here are 4 pics showing your auger and auger motor unmounted with connecting bolt on the auger end.
The last pic shows your auger without the 4 mounting bolts in it. Unplug your stove #1. The motor leads unplug( pull off) from the terminals, then you loosen the large square bolt that holds the auger motor on and pull the motor off( backwards). Then you unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the auger into the stove. Then you can remove the auger by pulling backwards, careful of the gasket on it also. Do everything in reverse to reassemble. Just make sure that the 2 augers aren't grinding against each other on the ends where they meet in the hopper bottom, there should be a free movement between the auger teeth. Good Luck!----Lorne.
P.S. click on images to enlarge them for detail.

Attachments

• auger12.jpg
    auger12.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 152
  • auger2.jpg
    auger2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 162
  • auger3.jpg
    auger3.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 164
  • auger4.jpg
    auger4.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: Margo and Bioburner
Oh my gosh I see it in my second pic! I never saw that one somehow weird. The thing I was looking at I think was covered with a blue cap in your pic.

That's a bearing grease zirk that's got a blue cap. Good luck

Thank you so much everyone! I successfully removed the augers today. I cleaned out both tubes and ground down any rough spots or deposits on the augers. So hopefully this will take care of the pellet feed issues. I also replaced my pipe with a flexible liner and a cap this fall and already given her a pretty good cleaning. I couldn't have done all this without the support of the generous people on this forum.

Good to hear. Its not getting any warmer out.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.