How Do I Stop My Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200 Pellet Stove From Rusting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

COPelletStove

Oct 13, 2023
Front Range, CO.
Hi all,

Two years ago I had a Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200 Pellet Stove installed here at my house in Colorado. And sure enough, it has lived up to billing as I've spent several winter night in the basement in shorts and tee- shorts, sipping coffee, and listening to the wind howl outside.

This stove puts out a lot of heat, and I love it!

However, for unknown reasons it's rusting on the interior of the stove and door. I've tried silica pellets for the last 2 years but it simply hasn't worked. So I got some serious wire brushing to do before I crank this thing up this winter.

I don't know why it is rusting to begin with. I've heard rumors from other owners that the Quadra-Fire is actually prone to rusting, but haven't seen anything in print that will prevent it.

The wire brushing has already gotten old.

Does anyone have some ideas on how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

My stove gets some rust in the firebox during the summer.
First hot fire and no more rust. If the rust shows itself during the summer. In the spring a good cleaning then spray the interior with Pam (vegetable oil ) first fire burns off the oil

Reactions: Washed-Up
Hi all,

Two years ago I had a Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200 Pellet Stove installed here at my house in Colorado. And sure enough, it has lived up to billing as I've spent several winter night in the basement in shorts and tee- shorts, sipping coffee, and listening to the wind howl outside.

This stove puts out a lot of heat, and I love it!

However, for unknown reasons it's rusting on the interior of the stove and door. I've tried silica pellets for the last 2 years but it simply hasn't worked. So I got some serious wire brushing to do before I crank this thing up this winter.

I don't know why it is rusting to begin with. I've heard rumors from other owners that the Quadra-Fire is actually prone to rusting, but haven't seen anything in print that will prevent it.

The wire brushing has already gotten old.

Does anyone have some ideas on how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks.
Do you have an Oak hooked up? If so, disconnect it in the spring. I’ve been using cooking spray also for 30+ years and it does a good job in minimizing rust.

You can also use some type of desiccant or Damp Rid.

Last edited:
Do you have an Oak hooked up? If so, disconnect it in the spring. I’ve been using cooking spray also for 30+ years and it does a good job in minimizing rust.

You can also use some type of desiccant or Damp Rid.
Don't have an Oak hooked up to it. But I did have to crank it up last week when a snow storm showed up. Almost all the rust is gone. If Pam cooking oil works, I'll spray it down at season's end and, hopefully, call it good. Thanks for the tip.

My stove gets some rust in the firebox during the summer.
First hot fire and no more rust. If the rust shows itself during the summer. In the spring a good cleaning then spray the interior with Pam (vegetable oil ) first fire burns off the oil
I'm beginning to think cooking oil is nearly as good as motor oil! Alright, I'll give it a shot at season's end. Thanks.

Last few burns of the season I leave the ash in the stove over the spring and summer. It has kept the rust away for me. Good cleaning in the fall and I'm ready to go for another season.

The spray oil thing works, good to use canola oil since that is the only thing its good for. Damp Rid is good too...