1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How Do You Aim Your Fiskars?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Mr A, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Takes practice, I'm sure. I have the long handled X27 Fiskars. I get close by sighting my lower hand above where I want to strike, .and my nose. I've been practicing on some 4" branches trying to split 'em right down the middle. Usually an inch off one way or the other.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Check it out, new and improved model....

PrecisionX27.JPG

>>

:p

;lol
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I haven't split by hand in a while, but I bought an x27 in the off season. As I recall, for whatever reason, if I opened my eyes real wide just at the point of contact I would hit close.
  4. jlightning

jlightning Member

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I'm getting one of those for deer season! They need to come out w/ the tactical rail so I can mount a flash light and laser for home defense. :)
    Stlshrk likes this.
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    With my maul, I just look at the place on the round I want to hit...then I hit it. There's no method to the madness.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  6. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Get the x25 - whatever advantage the superfluous extra length of the x27 has, accuracy is not one of them.
  7. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I guess I have to ask why you are splitting 4 inch branches? They just get cut to length and stacked. Everything else is just repetition and you will get the hang of it. A good trick is using a rubber tire to hold the rounds and if you miss you just hit the tire harmlessly.
    Don Williams likes this.
  8. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Most of my pieces all have at least one 2" sliver taken off
    first shot. Then I get a half decent hit in the center. I'll
    never understand it! Aim is horrible. Love the axe though. Its me.
  9. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I use them for kindling, and practicing my ax swing accuracy.
  10. Stlshrk

Stlshrk Member

Loc:
    VA
    Maybe she isn't properly broken in yet. I just haul some wood near to the woodshed and park it. The next day I find that it has been unloaded, split, and stacked. If the tool had a mouth I'd buy it some nice cold brew. But, alas...
  11. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    much better to just use a hatchet to make kindling, using the X27 just means keeping a wider stance and going straight overhead. No real secret. For large rounds try going in slices rather than splitting in the middle, works great and you can get away with one swing all the way around with each split
  12. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
  13. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    This poor guy is going to grow old trying to get 4-5 cords for the winter.....
  14. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    I did it last year, and hope to be a year ahead this year. A partnership in a hydro splitter is on the way tho.....looking forward to it.
  15. colin.p

colin.p Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ottawa Canada
    My eye/hand coordination is somewhat off. I have tried to "look" at where I want to hit, but usually miss, sometimes the whole blasted log.
    Maybe next time I'll try with one eye closed and see what happens. If that still doesn't get me results, I'll try with both eyes closed and then it will be a surprise.<>
  16. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I feel it is like swinging a baseball bat, you got it or you don't. I work with surveying instruments, builders levels and such. I have noticed I have a knack to know exactly where to place the target so the instrument man can call the shot. I get several beer shots a day.
  17. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Do you swing straight overhead or from the 3/4 side as one would with an axe? I only use the fiskars straight overhead...and I have paid particular attention to how I hit the spot 90% of the time since you posted this....I notice that I focus on one point in the wood and it just goes there, very much like hitting a golf ball, I focus on one dimple.
  18. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I've been getting pretty anal about it. I mark the wood with a sharpie felt tip marker in the center I want to hit, and make 1 in markings from the center. I'm getting close. I stand in a sort of fight stance, yea, a rotation of my body from the strike point, not 3/4 but maybe 1/8, a bit off center.
    . The lumberjack competitors say to stand square in front, raise and lower the axe directly over your center,. Considering standing square in front of it, then rotating to your side would be 1/4 of a circle, with it to your back would 1/2, etc. just how I'm thinking of the 3/4 question.
  19. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Never looked it up or heard that...but that is exactly what I do. you can kinda see in the video I posted how I do it.