How do you approach strangers about that broken tree on their property?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
There are several people on the road I live in who lost trees in the last big storm we had, and some of the trees are right next to the road. They'd be an easy score, but I'm a little reluctant to just knock on their doors and say, "Will ya gimmee?" I've been looking at their rooflines to see if they're woodburners, and of course I wouldn't even make the offer if they are.

I see it as a win-win for me to clear out their broken trees, but am not sure if folks look at it that way. Have any of you been in this situation, and if so, what do you do? Some trees have been laying in the ditch for more than a year--I know, because they had fallen across the road, and my kids and I cut them and dragged them into the ditch. Some are freshly fallen from that storm we had. Also, if you take the fallen part, and the trunk is several feet tall, do you cut that off as well? Offer to haul limbs to the dumpster?

A bit of a windfall (pun unintended) if I can get it.

I'd consider offering even if they are wood burners - some people are just not into, or capable of, cutting their own.

You could offer halves with them. Your labor for their timber

Mike

Leave a polite note in their mailbox. Make it the one and only contact attempt.

If you're on friendly terms with them, by all means strike up a conversation. At the very least, offer to help them take it down and then be happy if they offer you any of it at all...otherwise you've done a good deed and helped a neighbor. Karma will be your frined some day.

I'd just ask. Tell them you cut the wood to heat your own house so they don't think you're going to sell it. I would offer to pile up the brush, but unless you have a way of hauling it and a place to dump it I wouldn't offer to remove the brush, at least not at first. I think a lot of people are happy to have the big parts of the tree cut up and removed. Anyone can remove smaller branches once they are removed from the tree, but not everyone feels comfortable running a chainsaw or handling heavy pieces of wood, so you are doing the tough part and doing them a favor. If they were going to remove the tree themselves they would have done in during the year the tree has been down. At this point you can guess they will never do it themselves, but that doesn't mean they want the tree to stay where it lays. Most people either like the property to look neat and want down trees removed, or they don't think much at all about down trees so they will give it to you just because you want it and they don't. You might get lucky and they'll offer not just the trees by the road but others around the property.

I've stopped by houses before and knocked, but mostly I wait till I see someone outside before approaching. Did this the other day. The guy had about 20 log length rounds sitting by the road in a stack, next to a stack of branches. I simply asked him if he was trying to get rid of the wood. He said, "absolutely, take all you want. I'll have more as soon as I can find someone to cut up that thing" - pointing to another large downed tree that had already been limbed.

Recently I stopped by someone's house around 10am Saturday morning and asked if they were trying to get rid of the wood. He said, "No, we're actually going to rent a splitter and split all day. Thanks for offering though".

So, I think the phraseology helps. You offer to help them out if they need it and if not, no biggie. Typically a lot of people, in the suburban areas, don't have anywhere to dispose of wood and you are doing them a favor while racking up. That's a win-win if I've ever heard of it. :)

Hi -

I just stop and ask. If I don't see people out and about at a particular house I leave a note.

If it's something I'd really like I'll stop by on my way to or from a cutting job. Some folks seem more agreable if they know you're going to do the job right now. I've heard more than once something along the lines "My @#$% BIL said he was going to take it", "...made ruts in my lawn", "...didn't come ant take it"...etc. They want it gone fast.

I generally do nothing with the brush and I'm very clear on that. I have moved, and stacked brush in the past when I needed wood badly.

I've got a nice supply just now. However I am still not above approching people who have staches of large seasoned rounds. I've split some of these staches on shares, and others for an houry rate. It's just not worth gearing up and learning how to split for the home owner who has just one large tree taken down.

I do get calls now from repeat customers once in a while.

ATB,
Mike P

A guy around the corner had a large limb come down, I used the Internet to get his number and called him and asked if I could have the wood, he said no problem.

snowleopard said:
There are several people on the road I live in who lost trees in the last big storm we had, and some of the trees are right next to the road. They'd be an easy score, but I'm a little reluctant to just knock on their doors and say, "Will ya gimmee?" I've been looking at their rooflines to see if they're woodburners, and of course I wouldn't even make the offer if they are.

I see it as a win-win for me to clear out their broken trees, but am not sure if folks look at it that way. Have any of you been in this situation, and if so, what do you do? Some trees have been laying in the ditch for more than a year--I know, because they had fallen across the road, and my kids and I cut them and dragged them into the ditch. Some are freshly fallen from that storm we had. Also, if you take the fallen part, and the trunk is several feet tall, do you cut that off as well? Offer to haul limbs to the dumpster?

A bit of a windfall (pun unintended) if I can get it.

Snowleopard, what a convenient way to make new friends and possibly get some firewood at the same time!

I would simply knock on doors and I would not ask them to give me a thing but I would offer to cut up that tree and remove it for them. Then I would also tell them that you heat with wood so that means you would do both them and yourself a favor.

Usually if you just stack the brush neatly that would be all that would be expected and then they could burn it or whatever. For the big trees, perhaps you could find someone to cut those for you. For example, I had a friend who wanted a large tree (ash) taken from his lawn several years ago. I no longer own a large saw but do know several folks that do. Easy thing to ask a friend if he'd cut the butt of the log into firewood length and he even fell the tree for me. He would not take a thing for doing it either, but it is a very easy thing to get even with them on that point. It worked out great for the homeowner, me and the friend. If all else fails, one could rent a saw for a weekend to get those big logs cut up.

So I stopped by on the way home this evening. Pulled in one of the driveways, and saw piles of cut wood around. When the homeowner stepped out, I told him that I already had my question answered--that he had some poplar up above his house that had been there a few years, and I was going to ask if I could take it off his property, but I could see he was a burner himself. He said yes, he was, and he was thinking about borrowing a saw and cutting it up himself. I told him he could borrow mine, and we introduced ourselves to one another, and I just met a neighbor. Lived here three years and haven't met hardly a soul around here.

Funny how that worked out. Oh, well, there's still the birch up the hill.

Adabiviak said:
"... you got a home for that tree?" That's the line I always use.

I like.

Howabout, "I see one of your trees was trying to run away from home, and tripped . . . "

I normally approach from behind, hugging the ground, hopefully downwind, and wearing a ghillie suit. Once I'm within a few feet I,er, uh,...why's everybody lookin' at me?....oh, wrong forum...sorry.

snowleopard said:
So I stopped by on the way home this evening. Pulled in one of the driveways, and saw piles of cut wood around. When the homeowner stepped out, I told him that I already had my question answered--that he had some poplar up above his house that had been there a few years, and I was going to ask if I could take it off his property, but I could see he was a burner himself. He said yes, he was, and he was thinking about borrowing a saw and cutting it up himself. I told him he could borrow mine, and we introduced ourselves to one another, and I just met a neighbor. Lived here three years and haven't met hardly a soul around here.

Funny how that worked out. Oh, well, there's still the birch up the hill.

Sounds like this could be the start of a potentially good friendship . . . or relationship . . . I enjoy working with wood . . . but often find it more enjoyable and productive when I team up with my buddy and we help each other out.

Snowleopard, you did just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.