How do you buck logs laying on the ground?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I usually obtain my wood as logs and can't buck them where I get them. I bring them home and cut to length in my gravel driveway. I try to lay them criss-cross on top of each other but they try to roll on me or get off-balance after cutting off the first piece. I would lay them flat on the ground but feel I would hit the chainsaw into the gravel.

Is a timberjack what I need? I see what in the Northern catalog.

can't you make partial cuts down the length of the log, roll it and then finish the cuts?

velvetfoot said:
can't you make partial cuts down the length of the log, roll it and then finish the cuts?

That is what i do if on the ground, look for a cant hook to role them with..I have one and it goes with the saw and pulp hook all the time..

My timberjack will be here from Northern today. I'll let you know- I got the steel one. We used to have a wood-handled one, it was really useful until the last cut or two, then the short log seemed to be off-balance for the last cut or two.

I was thinking of getting a chainsaw buddy but some of my logs seem too big for it. Maybe not. I need to check their website again.

:cheese: I just got my Chainsawbuddy on Friday! I like it so far, have it mounted on my little Husky 141. It takes some getting used to. Best use for it is longer stuff laying on the ground. It's kind of a pain to cut up tons of 48" pieces, as you really need to have them laid out on the ground. I did about half a pickup load of 48" long sticks for my friend, really easier, since you can keep your feet under you, and you're not doing the "seven-toe shuffle" with your left foot holding the wood. I have a lot of "beanpole" trees to cut, it is the ideal tool for that. You can cut up to 4" diameter with the stops in the forward position, probably 7"-8" in the back position. I got my from Bailey's, it was $26.95, I think. Ordered Tues., was here in PA on Friday afternoon.

I just cut them half way then roll them over and finsh the cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.