Lookie what I have....NIELS!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After thinking some more on this, I think that the simplest way to do this is to use a square box rather than a round pipe. Just because the commercial bricks are round, it does not mean yours have to be. You could weld up a long square box with a hinged top lid and bolt or clamp it to your main beam.This way you can just open up the hinged top, pour a bucketfull of sawdust into the box, shut and latch the top shut, and run your ram. Even simpler would be to use a dedicated splitter and use the top of the main beam as the bottom of your long box. Weld heavy sides to the beam, and put a hinged heavy lid on top. I would think that if someone got into this seriously, they would want to use a dedicated splitter, that you could weld up this way.

Two, you will have to experiment to see how long of a pipe-full of loose sawdust it takes to make a compressed brick of the length you want. You may need a ram longer than most normal spitters to accomplish that.
According to NIELS it takes 7 cubic feet of saw dust to make 1 log. A 4" x 13" log is 163.36 cubic inches. A cubic foot is 1728 C.I. 7 is 12096 CI. Therefore 74 feet of tubing would be required. As you state, bit longer than most splitters. I also bet it takes a lot more than 50 tons of pressure to compress the logs. Still it would be a fun project to experiment and try different ideas.

I've been to their plant. The tubes are not that long. I wish I could recall exactly how long. They are on a cylinder, (envision a cylinder in a revolver) and there are dozens of holes in the cylinder. Too busy managing a stove company to start thinking about this...as posted earlier, best for retirement. You guys carry on with the project!:)

I've been to their plant. The tubes are not that long. I wish I could recall exactly how long. They are on a cylinder, (envision a cylinder in a revolver) and there are dozens of holes in the cylinder. Too busy managing a stove company to start thinking about this...as posted earlier, best for retirement. You guys carry on with the project!:)
I am also sure they are not 74 feet long. Just an observation. I am sure they have a better method for loading the sawdust. A factory tour sure would be interesting.
For anyone who has not been to the factory, the video on NIELS facebook page that I posted earlier gives glimpses of the machine. If you look close at the 20 second mark, it looks like the logs are continuous piece and they are cut off as a length is extruded.

A few photos of their machines:

NIELS Photo.jpg NIELS Machine.jpg

Last edited: