How do you build a log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you'll need a beefy I beam, wedge, reservoir, decent engine, cylinder, pump (2 stage preferably), valve, GOOD plumbing. Then things like wheels, a hitch if you want, some sort of stand, axle, maybe some wings to hold the rounds on the splitter while you operate it. Oh ya, some sort of filter for the fluid. I have a friend at work who built a monster splitter from old heavy equipment parts and what he could scrounge up. It works pretty darn well I guess. It's a monster.

Hope you like to weld!

Log splitter plans are available but in order to follow the plans you will often have to purchase new materials . This will drive the cost up to where it is not cost effective to build your own.

The average cost for new materials to build a basic log splitter will run 1,200 to 1,500 dollars. This cost does not include your labor or time and money spent trying to locate parts.

If you still want to build your own ,go to a store that sells them and take some measurements. Building your own can be an enjoyable time especially. if you have the tools and are able to scrounge up a few free components.

Status
Not open for further replies.