How do you define "short cycling?"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran the new thermostat wire today! Ready for new Ecobee... :) Took some time to get the wire down stairs and some blood was spilled, but I'll survive.
Been there, done that. Can you do anything with the old thermostat wire, like a gauge or something? Mine is still sticking out the wall, lol.

Been there, done that. Can you do anything with the old thermostat wire, like a gauge or something? Mine is still sticking out the wall, lol.

Removed the old wire to run the new... not a lot of room. So the old wire is nicely coiled up and ready for future projects... what that may be, is still to be determined. :)

The difference in temp readings is simply a matter of sensing location. The display is reading water temp at a location in the pressure vessel and your supply sensor is probably out in/on the piping itself. ?

In all the cases where we have had problems with power stealing T-stats (not just Nest/Ecobee) it can take a while for it to create problems. Nest of course denies any issues whatsoever but if you do a little digging you can find reports of problems.

One system we had problems with, burned out 2 Taco zone valves before we figured out the issue with the Nest connected to each.
John Barba from Taco finally came up with this info on making the Nest (or similar) work with a 2 wire set up.

Heard back from Tech Services - the 3rd wire appears to be the key. Nest doesn't do a very good job of explaining that, I don't think. Without a 3rd wire you'll need to use a220ohm, 5 watt resistor (per NEST) and place across w/y & c on the zone valve. Hope that helps!

Hat tip to John!

The difference in temp readings is simply a matter of sensing location. The display is reading water temp at a location in the pressure vessel and your supply sensor is probably out in/on the piping itself. ?

In all the cases where we have had problems with power stealing T-stats (not just Nest/Ecobee) it can take a while for it to create problems. Nest of course denies any issues whatsoever but if you do a little digging you can find reports of problems.

One system we had problems with, burned out 2 Taco zone valves before we figured out the issue with the Nest connected to each.
John Barba from Taco finally came up with this info on making the Nest (or similar) work with a 2 wire set up.

Heard back from Tech Services - the 3rd wire appears to be the key. Nest doesn't do a very good job of explaining that, I don't think. Without a 3rd wire you'll need to use a220ohm, 5 watt resistor (per NEST) and place across w/y & c on the zone valve. Hope that helps!

Hat tip to John!

Thanks for the information. I remember reading something about the Nest and Taco zone valves, but can't remember where. I have no zone valves, so I hope I am ok. I might try and check further to see if I will have any problems down the road. So far, the Nest is working fine with my set up.
Trout

Trout- any update on usage and how well it's been working for you? We have similar set ups with no storage and single zone cast rads. I decided to go with the traditional pellergy burner instead of the alpha and am curious to compare where we each are this far through the heating season. Thanks!

Opps very true. Didn't realize he was one and the same. Looks like it is performing well indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.