How do you find a certified chimney sweep?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andie

Feb 24, 2008
southern cal
Just wondering- lots listed in the phone book but how do I know if they are hobbyist or certified. I can't find anything on this forum (or the www)!

HELP!!!

Thank :)

Andie

THANK YOU!!!! So much for these sites. It is HARD to find one in my area.

So I called one guy.

Me- Are you CSIA certified?
Them- Yes!
Me- I'm on their website and I can't find your certification- what name is it under?
Them- Oh, we are in the PROCESS of getting certified. But we are members of the chimney yada yada guild and the california yada yada guild.
Me- Thanks, bye.

So I go to the guild's website. And I could be a member- you just have to send in fees. It has nothing to do with certification.

Yet another case of a fancy website leading me astray......or at least tempting me.

What is so crazy is right on their website they say "The CSIA recommends a chimney cleaning every xyz years".

So they quote them for business, then don't certify.

I have to wait 2 weeks for someone certified to come out, but I really need a good clean.

Thank you again so much for the websites!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.