How do you get an orange tree to blossom??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BARTSFAM

Jan 21, 2009
Central MA
I live in Massachusetts. Years ago, I went to Florida and picked up one of those ornamental orange trees at the airport. I brought it home, and for 10 years had pretty little oranges on the tree, until it died.

Five years ago, I did the same thing. I went to Florida, and brought home two ornamental orange trees.
The trees are pretty good size, and I trimmed them as the instructions said. In the summer I leave them on the deck, and bring them in for the fall and winter. They get pleanty of sun, Miracle Grow, and a big pot.

Why don't I have any blossoms or oranges? I have nothing but green leafy trees! They are over five years old!
Am I missing something, any of you "green thumbs" know about?

Maybe it's a different cultivar of orange, not as happy in pots as your others. I've had Meyer Lemons, had one fruiting well for 5 years or so, left it out in a early hard frost, killed it. The replacement sucked, though. I think it was stressed young and never wanted to reach it' s full potential. Forgive the anthropomorphizing.

In the spring, don't use the miracle grow. Add a good fertilizer to the soil that is higher in phosphorus and potassium than nitrogen to boost blossoming.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Apples trees don't produce until they reach a certain age. This can be made shorter by using a dwarfing root stock. I'm going to guess that orange trees can be sped up the same way. The quality of the tree stock also makes a difference and you may have not bought the best stock.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.