how do you like your pleasant hearth stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmcc323

Jan 8, 2011
eastern pa
hi new to burning and to this site, 3 months ago got pleasant hearth 1800 sq ft stove from lowes and found this
site, used heating oil up till then now i burn 24/7 , i expected more heat from stove , i burn white and red oak only,
with shovel full of wood pellets when fire needs to be ramped up for a few mins. stove top mostly in the 450 to
475 range have had it to 750 by loading to many small splits, wont do that again. stove keeps 1600 sq ft home
about 69 to 70 degrees, i have only found it to have 4.5 hour overnight burn, but i dont stock it to the gills, i
am sorry to see baffle board does not look replaceable no parts offered by pleasant hearth so it will be a tossed
away stove after five years, how do others feel about there pleasant hearth stove .

The first year is always the hardest. Most folks really need time to find the optimal burning tecnique on thier stove and most first year burners end up with unseasoned wood. I'm guilty fo both and I'm sure some of your troubles stem from these to common issues too. Stick with it and keep reading. Don't be afraid to experiment with the techniques to read about on this site. As far as overnight burns, don't expect the fire to be burning all night. Ideally waking up to a hot stove with lots of coals to rekindle the morning fire is what most folks get. Last load of the night, pack your stove with the logs going E to W (side to side) as tightly as you can, a couple inches below the tubes, let them get charred and turn the air down in stages till the secondary flames appear from the tubes. You're good for the night. The tightly packed wood E to W will burn the slowest and should give you longer than 4 1/2 hours. Is your house well insulated? How drafty are the windows? That makes a big difference too. As far as the baffle, there are likely other options available. You could shop similar sized stoves and go to thier web site and see if their replacement baffle can be made to fit. Anyway, lets not put the cart before the horse. Get that baby running right and worry about the baffle if and when it needs it. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.