New Stove! First Stove! And it's outside :-)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kustrud

Feb 21, 2024
GA
We just redid our deck, extended it, and added dry under-decking to have a nice lower patio now as well. I have been DYING to have a wood stove forever and immediately knew I was going to put one down here. After much FB searching, reading, researching, etc. I decided on this guy:

https://factorypure.com/products/pl...8nllvQn_GCjWrK2GiQZMFHkt7b4n5uxxoCU9kQAvD_BwE

My plan was to place it outside where it will be rained on, so I did not want to spend a fortune and I wanted steel instead of cast iron. I read every review I could find on it and it seems like the majority of the bad reviews were user error so I took a chance. I understand how a fireplace, draft, etc. works and the design seemed well enough to me. Also being an "efficient" EPA stove was a plus.

I don't mind having to paint it once a year if need be. I can also move it forward to where it is out of the rain and add an elbow into the chimney if needed as well.

Followed directions and the first fire is just cruising along nicely!

My question, can I have a fire in this thing WHILE it is getting rained on? A complete downpour, I wouldn't bother. But just curious on overall thoughts. Obviously the heat output would be less, but the design is basically water-tight from above and I figured the body would be hot enough the rain would probably just evaporate unless completely pouring!

Also, going to play around a bit with the chimney height before screwing it together.

Just wanted to share and curious for some feedback!
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top of chimney too close to deck, 2’ higher than 10’ over. One errant spark out the cap can settle into your framing.

Top of chimney too close to deck, 2’ higher than 10’ over. One errant spark out the cap can settle into your framing.
I’m playing around with where to put it. It’s “safe” right now as I’m keeping a close eye on it and it’s below the deck by a couple feet. It won’t stay right there!

Question on stove operation. This is an EPA stove with the “2 cycle burn.” Instructions say once the fire is going well to close the door and also close the flue baffle any time the door is closed. Stove is working great just curious as I have some wood that’s not as seasoned as I like. If I were to open the flue baffle some (opposed to the instructions) while running, wouldn’t that help to get the secondary combustion going on stubborn wood?

Leaving the damper open longer will allow the water to be driven out faster. You can’t force water to burn, and the steam kills secondary combustion. So leaving the damper open longer helps.
This stove will be very rusty in no time at all. You ok with that?

I’d be more worried about that deck with hot air being blown up at a single spot. Ignoring fire damage, it’s going to really dry out that spot. Expect that area to need replacement much faster than the rest of it.

Leaving the damper open longer will allow the water to be driven out faster. You can’t force water to burn, and the steam kills secondary combustion. So leaving the damper open longer helps.
This stove will be very rusty in no time at all. You ok with that?
Makes sense. I’ll repaint whenever needed. And yes I am to a certain extent.

I’d be more worried about that deck with hot air being blown up at a single spot. Ignoring fire damage, it’s going to really dry out that spot. Expect that area to need replacement much faster than the rest of it.
I’ve decided to run the flue to 2 feet up above the deck rail!

Just spitballing here. 2' over the deck rail will be eyeball height. Maybe a little higher?
I said that wrong, 6 feet above rail.

Typically, wind blows left to right or the reverse of that. Also, we will typically be upstairs or downstairs. Very rarely both.

Reactions: Pinesmoke
Stove worked well yesterday with 6 feet of flue. If I go to 15 or so feet I’m assuming it’ll even draft a lot more??

I wouldn't worry much about prolonging the life of the stove. It's outside, it's not going to last that long, and I'm pretty sure outdoor installations void the warranty.

Reactions: stoveliker
I wouldn't worry much about prolonging the life of the stove. It's outside, it's not going to last that long, and I'm pretty sure outdoor installations void the warranty.
Not worried about the warranty....

I'm going to move it under the deck more and angle the flue back so it's out of the rain at least. Sure, it'll see moisture. But it's basically a sealed 1/4" (or close to that) steel box. If I do the correct maintenance to keep rust away as best as possible I don't see why it wouldn't last honestly....

Not worried about the warranty....

I'm going to move it under the deck more and angle the flue back so it's out of the rain at least. Sure, it'll see moisture. But it's basically a sealed 1/4" (or close to that) steel box. If I do the correct maintenance to keep rust away as best as possible I don't see why it wouldn't last honestly....

I'm not saying it won't last years, it will but I doubt you will get decades out of it. Gets pretty humid outside in Georgia. Im not knocking it, it's a pretty cool idea and I would love to sit around it and drink a few beers, but it's lifespan will definitely be shorter than an indoor stove.

Reactions: Kustrud
When I'm outside, where efficiency doesn't matter, I wish to see, feel, and hear the fire.
Aren't there outdoor fireplaces where you can hear the fire? Experience it other than thru infrared from a metal box?

Water under the bridge, but I wonder....

Reactions: webby3650
I can leave the door open of course, and it does put of great heat both open and closed! I didn't want to build a giant brick fireplace and block our view either. I just love the look of the stove too, sets a little cabin vibe underneath.

Here's where I'm at so far, I moved it in about 3 feet to keep it out of the rain and also should heat the area nicer!

How can I support this thing better? The pipe is a good 10" off the closest point of the deck and at that height should not be hot enough to affect the wood either I believe.

See where the red paracord is? Any idea to add supports here? It needs it but I am lost for a good idea.

Also, for the support higher up I made a temporary bracket but will order something nice and black that is a lot sturdier. Found a bunch of options online.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Just some metal bracket (same stuff they hang water.lines, strap it may be called - don't know the name in English)?

Is that stove pipe? (Not chimney pipe?)
That'll rust thru quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.