New Stove! First Stove! And it's outside :-)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can leave the door open of course, and it does put of great heat both open and closed! I didn't want to build a giant brick fireplace and block our view either. I just love the look of the stove too, sets a little cabin vibe underneath.

Here's where I'm at so far, I moved it in about 3 feet to keep it out of the rain and also should heat the area nicer!

How can I support this thing better? The pipe is a good 10" off the closest point of the deck and at that height should not be hot enough to affect the wood either I believe.

See where the red paracord is? Any idea to add supports here? It needs it but I am lost for a good idea.

Also, for the support higher up I made a temporary bracket but will order something nice and black that is a lot sturdier. Found a bunch of options online.View attachment 325028View attachment 325029View attachment 325031View attachment 325032

View attachment 325027

View attachment 325030
Your "chimney" which looks just like stove pipe is way to close to your deck. It is a serious safety risk

Thanks for all the feedback, I’m going to move it another foot away from the deck just to be safe!

This was just a dry fit run so I learned a lot. Going to grab some strap and hopefully have this done today!

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll post pictures once complete!

Why wouldn’t you just get a chimenea? (Or however thats spelled) They’re designed to be outside and would give you that ambiance you’re looking for.

Reactions: stoveliker
Just dig a fire pit, and put in a fire ring.Simple.

Just dig a fire pit, and put in a fire ring.Simple.
Yeah that makes sense, given I stated this was for under our new patio. Also, I have a nice fire pit. But thanks for the help!

IMG_0595.jpeg

Reactions: kborndale
Moved it a foot further away from the deck!

Gonna get some nice brackets made up in black for the pipe, strapped it up for now!

We’ll see how the stove pipe lasts. I’ll replace with chimney pipe when needed. Thanks again to all who showed interest and helped!
IMG_0594.jpeg IMG_0592.jpeg IMG_0596.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some metal bracket (same stuff they hang water.lines, strap it may be called - don't know the name in English)?

Is that stove pipe? (Not chimney pipe?)
That'll rust thru quickly.
And that deck will be up in smoke if there’s a flue fire. Should be 18” away from wood.

Reactions: stoveliker
With single wall chimney pipe outside it's going to cool off quick and probably be a creosote machine, especially with wood that hasn't been sit and stacked for a year or two. I would inspect it monthly until you get a better idea how often sweeping is necessary.

Good to know. I’m probably going to replace all of this soon with double wall pipe just to be on the safe side. This won’t be used but on weekends when entertaining but can’t be too safe.

Can I “sweep” this myself with a brush and some rods?

Probably be easier from the bottom with a soot eater but rods would work if you can get to the top.

Good to know. I’m probably going to replace all of this soon with double wall pipe just to be on the safe side. This won’t be used but on weekends when entertaining but can’t be too safe.

Can I “sweep” this myself with a brush and some rods?
It's not going to hold up to much brushing being snaplock single wall and adjustable elbows. But your going to.have to sweep it yourself no pro will touch that. And you need chimney pipe not double wall stove pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.