How does a Liner with a Tee work with a cleanout?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
I have an internal masonry chimney. I believe it has 8x8 terracotta tiles. This chimeny supports my wood stove on the main floor of my ranch. It extends up through the ceiling/attic/roof right at the peak of the roof. Installing a liner from the top with a T makes sense to me down to the point where the stove connection comes in. How does the liner work from there DOWN?

My cimney also continues down into my basement where it has a footing. There is a cleanout in the basement. Do I somehow have to bring the liner down to the cleanout and cap it off?

I am not 100% satisfied with the performance of my stove. I think I am on the verge of the suggested chimney configuration so I might try lining this summer. I doubt I will be able to insulate due to the tight clearance between my terracotta and the liner. Would this effort still be worth it?
ac

If you really want to use your old cleanout, you can order an extra tee, an extra tee cap and an extra length of liner. You measure and cut the extra length of liner to go between the two tees so that the upper tee lines up with your thimble opening, and the lower tee lines up with your cleanout door. You put the tee cap that comes with the kit on the bottom of the lower "clean out" tee, and the extra tee cap on the lower "clean out" tee snout, to stop air intrusion into the flue. At chimney cleaning time, you push your brush all the way down to the bottom, then open the cleanout door and remove the extra cap from the tee snout to vacuum out the swept-down creosote. Back upstairs, you disconnect the stovepipe from the thimble tee and take it outside to sweep it out.

OR.. You can simply install the liner as designed, with the cap on the bottom of the thimble tee, sweep the creosote down and vacuum it out through the thimble hole when you disconnect the stovepipe. This is the recommended technique, as it is less expensive, far easier to install, and minimizes liner pipe connections which can allow dilution air to enter the liner and interfere with your draft.

thechimneysweep said:
OR.. You can simply install the liner as designed, with the cap on the bottom of the thimble tee, sweep the creosote down and vacuum it out through the thimble hole when you disconnect the stovepipe. This is the recommended technique, as it is less expensive, far easier to install, and minimizes liner pipe connections which can allow dilution air to enter the liner and interfere with your draft.

I had never thought of that, but that would probably work pretty well. A simple step stool would get me to comfortable working height. I like this.
ac

Yes, one option you have is to extend the liner down to the clean out and cap it off. My liner is capped off right on the bottom of the tee. When I sweep the chimney, I simply remove the stove pipe and reach in an scoop anything that came out into a bucket that I'm holding. Not really ideal, but it's easy and soot washes off my hands.

I also had a tight liner install and didn't have room for insulation blanket. I burned for two years with just the liner inside the clay flue. This year, I dumped loose fill perlite around the liner. Can't really say if it helped or not, but it was cheap and certainly didn't hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.