How far apart to put stacks for seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
I am getting ready to build some 16' (i.e., 8' butted up against 8') racks for seasoning firewood. Should be able to get over a cord in each row if I stack 5' or 6' high. Question is, how much space should I leave between rows to get them to season quickly? Obviously, the less space the better so I can put more wood on the property. However, I am just getting started and I need to get this stuff up to speed and seasoned ASAP.

Some say to leave enough room between the stacks so that you can easily walk in between without touching the sides. But if you are pressed for space (and many of us are ), I think that a good 12"-16" will suffice. It has always worked well for me, anyway.

fabsroman said:
I am getting ready to build some 16' (i.e., 8' butted up against 8') racks for seasoning firewood. Should be able to get over a cord in each row if I stack 5' or 6' high. Question is, how much space should I leave between rows to get them to season quickly? Obviously, the less space the better so I can put more wood on the property. However, I am just getting started and I need to get this stuff up to speed and seasoned ASAP.

I put a pallet between my rows, so. . . 4" or so? I have no idea whether or not this is "enough," but, no one else here does either. I say just do whatever you want because, well, you're going to anyway.

16'x6'x16" is a cord. If you go 5' high, then you're at 5/6's of a cord.
Leave a few inches of more for air flow and you should be good to go.
I have about 4' between mine and may make that larger so I can get my utility trailer between.

I would guess that a foot or two is enough space that you'll get good air flow between the stacks. If they are on grass it would be nice to be able to mow between the stacks, and it definitely would be nice to be able to walk between the stacks to straighten them if they start leaning. I guess I am saying that access requires more space than air flow, so if you have good access you'll have plenty of air flow.

My thinking is that it probably doesn't matter a whole lot . . . I mean they should have a bit of space, but the primary reason for giving the stacks a bit of space is to expose more of it to the wind and sun . . . short of putting up stacks several feet away or positioning them so that they do not block the prevailing wind and sun . . . one stack placed 4-6 inches away vs. a stack placed 2-3 feet away will most likely not have that much of a difference in the speed of seasoning as it will still block a good portion of the wind and sun.

I have the same set up. 16' rows. I put enough space between for another row. double space it.
this will allow me to single space seasoned wood.

doublespacedoublespacedoublespacedoublespace

singlespacesinglespacesinglespacesinglespacesinglespace

thats what I do.

BTW: 6ft high is too high for me. gets a little shaky and a big storm can make havoc of the stacks.

If I'm reading this write, the OP is building racks, not stacking on pallets or the ground. So I don't think he's asking about how much space to allow between racks (like for mowing grass) but rather how much space to allow between two stacks on the same rack.

As the others have said, though, it's better to allow a little bit of space. I cut to 20 inch lengths and stack on a 48 inch pallet. Two rows of splits gives me about eight inches between the rows. That gives lots of sun and air space between them. I can also toss chunks and uglies between the rows and keep them out of sight.

After a few different efforts I have come around to building rows of pallets (48" x 40") with as many pallets in the row as can fit which is usually between 3-5 pallets. I fill all the space on the pallet which usually means two outside rows with the middle filled with shorties and uglies. I leave enough space between to rows to comfortably move my wheel barrow and snow blower through the space.

Easy to season wood like Ash, Silver Maple, and Cherry I stack 2 rows deep. Wood I don't need in the next year I stack 3rows deep, 4-6' high. Large stacks - 16 to 20' long, all stacked on pallets.

If you leave enough room to walk between them, I don't think leaving any more space is going too help the drying process. Personally, I do like Big Redd and leave enough for the mower, but I have lots of room.

fabsroman said:

Normally I say to leave enough room to walk between the rows comfortably; that is, not have to walk sideways. But you state you need to dry this stuff ASAP. Therefore, I would leave a lot more room between the rows; like anywhere up to 10' apart. Then if you cut next year's wood this coming winter, you can stack that a bit closer. Because we have lots of wood on hand I usually stack 3 rows together and then leave a space and another 3 rows. But then, I've also been known to stack up to 20 rows tight together and it will dry; just takes a lot longer that way but if you don't need the wood for 5 years or more then it doesn't matter.

I stack my wood on pallets, 3 rows wide on 48" wide pallets. Leaves 5-6" or so between the rows (I hang the front and back rows off the edge of the pallet) I make my rows ~20-24-ft long. (5-6 pallets long)

I just go one deep on the pallets, go around the back line of my yard, (400ft or so, so plenty of room)

Status
Not open for further replies.