How far does a pellet stove termination need to be from a heat pump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doublewide

Jun 14, 2010
Eastern PA
Nice forum I have learned a lot already.

I'm putting in a Breckwell P2000fs the manual states the termination should be "not less than 3' above any forced air inlet located within 10 feet" A heat pump would not be considered a "forced air inlet" because it does not bring outside air into the house. Is this correct? I'm planning on having my termination 3' to the side of the heat pump due to a propane tank just over 10' from this location.

Thanks for any suggestions. DW

doublewide said:
Nice forum I have learned a lot already.

I'm putting in a Breckwell P2000fs the manual states the termination should be "not less than 3' above any forced air inlet located within 10 feet" A heat pump would not be considered a "forced air inlet" because it does not bring outside air into the house. Is this correct? I'm planning on having my termination 3' to the side of the heat pump due to a propane tank just over 10' from this location.

Thanks for any suggestions. DW

Sounds OK to me but the only opinion that matters is the one you get at your town's Building Department.

Normally the heat pump's outdoor compressor does not draw in outside air. You should be ok by what is described unless there are other confounding factors.

Although 3' away sounds adequate, you might want to consider the possibility of mild winds pushing ash toward the condenser fins and fan. Maybe a small bush or fence section put between the two might be a solution?

My only concern would be ash getting on or in the unit and the hot exhaust interfering with any temp sensors on the heat pump should you use them at the same time. Otherwise, I'd say you are okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.