how far into your pile are you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
About 6.5 cords down, another 3.5 to go, before I turn my attention from firewood to mulch and turf.
Wow.......... I have never burned that much up here in Ontario. Have you burned that much or do you mean processing 10 cords?

I am about 5 face cord in (and about half of one face cord in uglies). They were about 17" long, so in total nearly 2 cords.
For 1700 sqft. Other than the minisplit that I use when it is above 40 F for 24 hrs or more this has been the only heat source this year. No oil.

Reactions: rottiman
I am about 5 face cord in (and about half of one face cord in uglies). They were about 17" long, so in total nearly 2 cords.
For 1700 sqft. Other than the minisplit that I use when it is above 40 F for 24 hrs or more this has been the only heat source this year. No oil.
No one in this area measures in face cords for the most part. Bush cord (128 cu ft) is the more common sizing.

A bush cord is a cord. Hence my mention of both quantities.

Around 3-3.5 cord so far. On course to hit normal amount in a heating season. Odd since I have been having 2 fires going and been working from home this year.

2.5 cord so far..it will end up being 3 cord or a little over by the time its all said and done..

I was doing well until I had shut down the stove.

Now I have to use the wood furnace for the remaining season. The wood I have left was for a conventional stove. For the furnace, it's a fart in the wind.

2 and 1/4 cords burnt, average between 3.5 to 4 cords per burning season.

I'm around 2.75-3 cords burned so far this season...counting the 5 days worth I brought in the basement today. Hard to be exact as my first stack wasn't quite full. I plan on 4 cords +/- 0.5 per season so it's going to end up being a light year barring any crazy March weather.

Wow.......... I have never burned that much up here in Ontario. Have you burned that much or do you mean processing 10 cords?
Burned. I burn up to 10 cords per year.

I processed another 12 cords over the last year, filling up some new sheds. I had let my stock get lower than usual during the super rainy and muddy years of 2018/19, and while I planned and built a new storage system. I used to keep roughly 30 cords stacked on two rows of pallets totaling 250 feet long x 3' wide x 5' high, but I'm aiming to hover closer to 20 cords in the future with a combination of reduced usage and dryer storage (so hopefully less time CSS'd).

Did some work on my stacks yesterday and I'd say I'm right around a cord, maybe just over a cord. Just using the stove to supplement, I've still used a few hundred gallons of oil.

About 350gal of oil and 2 cords of wood since November. I think long term answer is better insulation in the house.
Yes insulation would help me out greatly. Also an appropriately sized stove. If I were to guess I am closer to 400 gallons since Nov. I did just over 1000 gallons in the 2020 calendar year. I started burning late 2020 so I am looking forward to the totals for 2021. Not looking forward to the $4 a gallon for oil though.

It's getting ugly with oil at 3.5~3.9 per gallon - 400~500 per month in oil and another 150-200 in wood is getting very painful. Between August and Nov when heat was off I went through about 220 gallons - still that's a 70gal/month baseline even with heating being minimal. Something isn't quite right.

It's getting ugly with oil at 3.5~3.9 per gallon - 400~500 per month in oil and another 150-200 in wood is getting very painful. Between August and Nov when heat was off I went through about 220 gallons - still that's a 70gal/month baseline even with heating being minimal. Something isn't quite right.
For sure, residential hot water only shouldnt be more then 3/4 gal a day in the summer, my average is less then 1/3 a gal a day for domestic hot water, granted my holding take is insualted and will hold 165-170deg water for 18hrs @ 55gal if I remember correctly.

For sure, residential hot water only shouldnt be more then 3/4 gal a day in the summer, my average is less then 1/3 a gal a day for domestic hot water, granted my holding take is insualted and will hold 165-170deg water for 18hrs @ 55gal if I remember correctly.
I think holding losses are usually pretty low, unless tank is in cold space. Fuel consumption should be almost entirely dependent on number of users, with slight adjustment for long uninsulated pipe runs.

Last I checked, our consumption was right around 1.0 gallons per day, household of four.

Will check my heating oil usage for the year later tonight, I’ve been getting lazy on tracking it, the last two years.

That seems a little high for off months. Last year was our first summer in the house and we got our last delivery in April or May and didn’t get another one until October. Even at that point they called me to ask if I was sure that our hot water used oil (it does). It was a brand new tank when we moved in so maybe the seller got a good insulated one.

Just got an oil delivery last week. $4.29 a gallon.

only wet (18-24%) left...
had another cord brought in... filthy dirty bottom of the pile mixed hards...
also have some old apple laying around that was never used for smoking... been burning that inside when i've been outside to take in the sweet aroma...

hopefully, i'll make it thru with this dirty wood.

Reactions: stoveliker
I've burned a little over 2 cords and a half tank of oil, oil is for hot water also. I usually end up burning 4 cords and I think I'm a little below that pace this year. I have 3 cords seasoned so I'm good the rest of the year.

FWIW household of 4 here consumes aprox 3/4 to 1 gallon of propane a day for hot water.Its a Condensing 50gal tank . We don't use the full 400 gallon propane tank within a year thus far. Wood does the entire heat load. Wife likes to use hot water for washing machine and there seems to be a load going nonstop. 4 showers a day and 1 load of dishes.

Just pulled the records. I'm right around 64 - 66% of our yearly consumption on all fuels as of today, having to make some rough guesses on use since last bill on each. Our yearly consumption averages:

10 cords red oak (full cords)
970 gallons #2 heating oil
80 gallons LPG
19,340 kWh

The kWh figure includes lighting and cooling, I haven't spent the time to separate out what fraction of that goes toward heating.

We’ve had a very mild winter here. I’m a little over half through my pine stack (2.1 cord stack), and half a face cord of mahogany. I also burnt a bit of red elm which I wasn’t keeping track of but it was a very low amount burned this year. We’re usually burning 24/7 by late October-early November and this last season we didn’t start until December.