How far out does the Jotul 550 Rockland door opening stick out of the fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlP

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2005
Can any of you owners tell me how far the door opening sticks out of the fireplace?

I'm looking to add an insert to my almost never used fireplace in the usually cold room at the opposite end of the house from the wood stove. :-D

My raised hearth is 16 3/8" deep and legally in the USA I need 16" infront of the door opening. I'd rather not rebuild the hearth if I can avoid it.

I know the Jotul 550 is considered a "flush" insert and without wide surround kit fits in every other dimension. But I'm not sure how flush is flush. A fraction of an inch makes the difference between a simple install and extensive brickwork.

Thanks!

I think the rule is from the actual glass, which when eyeballing it from the side appears to be flush with the side bricks or at least 1/2 inch or less. If the inspector measured from the front of the door (the cast iron on the glass or on the side panels) it is like an inch from the fireplace bricks. So it is close. If you're the inspector then it works or they're going to have to get out the ruler with 1/32 on it to check. You could always push it into the fireplace without the surround on it, have it inspected and then pull it out and put on the surround. I really think you will be fine though with the 16 3/8.

Status
Not open for further replies.