How go you prevent logs from rolling off and hit your glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

agonyzhou

Nov 29, 2019
Maryland
I think the standard answers are: 1 loading N/S. However, I have a shallow firebox in my insert so that is not always possible; 2, Use the andiron. However, My insert only have one door so the andiron get in the way of loading and shoveling so I took it out often. Then ash will get into the andiron socket and will accumulate there. The andiron can become wobbly and it may be wobbling so much to hit the glass itself, which is even worse than log hitting the glass. Any other way?

The likely hood of a log rolling of a pile from a settling fire and breaking the glass is almost zero, unless you already have a fracture in the heavy ceramic glass, generally most of the time when window glass breaks its due to improper loading and closing the door on wood thats a bit to long.

I think the standard answers are: 1 loading N/S. However, I have a shallow firebox in my insert so that is not always possible; 2, Use the andiron. However, My insert only have one door so the andiron get in the way of loading and shoveling so I took it out often. Then ash will get into the andiron socket and will accumulate there. The andiron can become wobbly and it may be wobbling so much to hit the glass itself, which is even worse than log hitting the glass. Any other way?
I also have a shallow firebox. I angle the ash in the bottom toward the back. I also when reloading angle, the wood toward the back of the stove. Same with the coal bed before reloading. Even with all that, depending on the burn rate of each piece some don't cooperate.

The likely hood of a log rolling of a pile from a settling fire and breaking the glass is almost zero, unless you already have a fracture in the heavy ceramic glass, generally most of the time when window glass breaks its due to improper loading and closing the door on wood thats a bit to long.
log rolling of happened on me a couple of times and yes my glass is intact. Still, it is a hazard I want to avoid. It is not really rolling per se, but more like bottom log burned off faster and crumbled and the top log sliding down. Now I always use a thicker hard wood piece to hold the front line. but sometimes you are in a hurry and did not pile wood the optimal way...

What Corey said.

i pack wood up to the glass and have flames often right up against the glass... it may be reducing the lifespan of the window... but it also keeps it cleaner in the meantime :)

Many years of playing Jenga have paid off for me.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I dont use any rounds and the Jenga helped me understand proper stacking.

Keep rounds on bottom and a split with fat end facing the glass. When you stack on top just make sure they are leaning toward the back rather than the front. If a log burns through and falls towards the glass it will be fine but I too don't like wood setting against glass while burning. If it does happen I just let it do its thing.

I had a piece fall forward years ago and it the bottom right corner of the glass, I checked it out and saw no issues but awhile later down the line one day there appeared a crack in that area. I got another piece of glass which was much better quality than the original one but the dealer said "there's no way that should've cracked" but it did, and this was after having the stove many year so it wasn't like it was overtightened and cracked it had been that way for quite awhile.

I still cringe if a piece falls forward and into it, get the flashlight out and really look closely at it but so far so good! I try to "position" the pieces more towards the back if I think there is a chance that they might fall as the coals underneath them burn and give way.

I have the original Montpelier. Your andirons look pretty tall in comparison.
I usually split any rounds - small stoves like smaller splits IMHO. If I do have any rounds, they go on the bottom towards the back as others have said. Logs that slide down and rest on the glass don't scare me, but I will move them promptly. I don't want ash falling out of the door.

So most people are like me, willing to take the small chance of wood hitting the glass and not putting back andiron after reload or ash cleaning?

Cut all your wood short and go north south.

So most people are like me, willing to take the small chance of wood hitting the glass and not putting back andiron after reload or ash cleaning?
I use the andirons, but sometimes If I pack the stove full there is a split sitting on top of the andirons and it can shift and touch the glass. I try to avoid that but I also don't worry if it happens. Because of the airwash it will usually burn away pretty fast and restore the gap.

Many years of playing Jenga have paid off for me.
Indeed! Here is a crude side view of how to load. If I had a round it would be loaded in the rear bottom of this load.

front of stove
side-view loading.jpg
rear of stove