How high can I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
Long story short, my chimney is runs about two feet above it's base on the roof and I think I need to add another three feet to be legal for my new install. That would put me two feet above the roof peak which is eight feet across.
(Don't I need to be two feet above the peak using the 2/10 rule?)

Can I run the chimney five feet above the roof without using a brace. I much prefer to get higher without the need of support.

Anybody know about this stuff?

Attachments

• IMG_0444_1.JPG
    IMG_0444_1.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 476
Yes you need to extend the chimney and yes it will need a brace. One is required for every 5 ft in pipe height I believe. If you get a big storm and it's blowing strong gusts, you'll be glad it's braced, especially if the stove is going!

At least 3 feet higher than the point at which it exits the roof, and at least 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet of it horizontally. Rick

I dont know about you, but I was pretty high last night

<cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough> <cough>

Put the chimney about 3 feet higher.

This is a Buzzkill.
I was hoping that I didn't have to install a brace - but I guess BeGreen is right - I'll be a lot happier when the wind is gusting.
My current chimney seems fine and I have a metal roof, but I want to be legal so if I burn my house down I'll be covered by insurance.

Is the brace just a matter of screwing into the roof and patching the screws with roof cement?

My pipe ends up being 4'10" so no brace is used :coolsmile:

woodjack said:
This is a Buzzkill.
I was hoping that I didn't have to install a brace - but I guess BeGreen is right - I'll be a lot happier when the wind is gusting.
My current chimney seems fine and I have a metal roof, but I want to be legal so if I burn my house down I'll be covered by insurance.

Is the brace just a matter of screwing into the roof and patching the screws with roof cement?

You can get pipe in shorter lengths. If you need only a couple feet to make it a legit install and it falls under the 5', then you won't need the brace as Zamboni pointed out.
If you need the brace use neoprene washered screws and make sure you hit some wood lath under that metal roof. Just into the metal alone will most likely pull out in time.
Don't use roof cement, use a good caulk either silicone worked in real good or urethane.

What stove is this connected to and what's the total flue length?

BeGreen said:
What stove is this connected to and what's the total flue length?

It's an 1994 REGENCY 3100 that I found on Craigslist. The stove pipe runs about 90 inches from the stove to my ceiling connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.