I have a 2 story structure with about 38 ft to peak of roof. Want stove in lower and upper level. Concerned over length of chimney run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 1, 2023
Austin
Building a two-story structure peak roof height of 38 feet, two level structure one woodstove on both levels concerned over overall chimney height and how that would relate to what type of stove I would buy for each level. Probably looking at 36 feet chimney run from lower level to the peak of the roof and a 22 foot run from the upper level, thoughts?

project sits at 9000 ft elevation

I'm guessing this structure at 9000 ft is not in Austin, TX? Where is it located and how large is it? What are you looking for out of these stoves?

Sounds like it might be in Telluride, CO.

Yes, I'd be concerned about issues with a 40' + flue system. There is also the potential concern with the lower level being a negative pressure zone. What are the stove options for the lower floor? What will the primary heating system be?

The upper level doesn't sound like it will be a problem.

Sounds like it might be in Telluride, CO.

Yes, I'd be concerned about issues with a 40' + flue system. There is also the potential concern with the lower level being a negative pressure zone. What are the stove options for the lower floor? What will the primary heating system be?

The upper level doesn't sound like it will be a problem.
Thanks both of you. Yes it is in Telluride. Impressive. 😂
the primary heat system on both levels will be in floor systems

the purpose of the stoves would be back up heat, possibly primary if it is faster than the in floor system, at least at first. It’s a second home so spending weekends and a few weeks a year there

I was looking at multiple brands and types but was considering a Regency., maybe a F1150 in the lower level which is a garage and looking to warm a sitting area as opposed to the whole garage which is 1700 sf

the upper level is wide open. it Is the living loft and is 1200 sf total including bedrooms. 600 sf of kitchen and living room. Looked at everything from Hearthstone products to MF Fire and others.
open to suggestions based on the application

thank you very much for your response and time. I’m new to wood burners so appreciate it greatly

Also considering the Lopi Rockport for the upper level 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Shank
nothing helpfull but i spent a few days in telluride 30 years ago during the summer. It was a amazing. you could stand on main street and look at the end of town and watch a water fall. It was like you were stuck in the valley between 2 mountains. Even 30 years later if I was going to take the kids to Colorado it would be on the short list. And snakehead pass would be right there!

If this home is with a cathedral ceiling then the cubic ftg. needs to be taken into account. It sounds like the 1200 sq ft is actually a much larger area to heat due to high ceilings. Are there a lot of big windows too? They will greatly increase heat loss.

For weekend heat and a quick warmup I recommend a non-cat. Go oversized for the main floor. It takes a huge amount of extra BTUs to warm up a cold house and all the mass within from say 45º to 70º.

The Rockport is a decent hybrid cat stove, but I'd lean more toward the larger Endeavor in the Lopi line for this application. In Regency the F2450 is about the same size, and the Osburn 2000 is too.

nothing helpfull but i spent a few days in telluride 30 years ago during the summer. It was a amazing. you could stand on main street and look at the end of town and watch a water fall. It was like you were stuck in the valley between 2 mountains. Even 30 years later if I was going to take the kids to Colorado it would be on the short list. And snakehead pass would be right there!
Still a magical place I think. Limits on growth of the town keep,in unique. Your right, I have a lot of mountain passes to explore 👍

If this home is with a cathedral ceiling then the cubic ftg. needs to be taken into account. It sounds like the 1200 sq ft is actually a much larger area to heat due to high ceilings. Are there a lot of big windows too? They will greatly increase heat loss.

For weekend heat and a quick warmup I recommend a non-cat. Go oversized for the main floor. It takes a huge amount of extra BTUs to warm up a cold house and all the mass within from say 45º to 70º.

The Rockport is a decent hybrid cat stove, but I'd lean more toward the larger Endeavor in the Lopi line for this application. In Regency the F2450 is about the same size, and the Osburn 2000 is too.
Super helpful, yes I have a cathedral ceiling so will look at those sizes and stoves. in general if I’m putting a second stove down in the lower level that’s going to have more than likely a 30 foot plus run on the chimney:
1) is that even possible
2)is there a rule of thumb? In other words do I want to use a smaller stove or a larger stove down there just to address the extreme chimney height or is that not a factor ?

thank you again

Super helpful, yes I have a cathedral ceiling so will look at those sizes and stoves. in general if I’m putting a second stove down in the lower level that’s going to have more than likely a 30 foot plus run on the chimney:
1) is that even possible
2)is there a rule of thumb? In other words do I want to use a smaller stove or a larger stove down there just to address the extreme chimney height or is that not a factor ?

thank you again
It's possible, but with potential caveats. It may take 2 dampers in the stove pipe to tame the draft. This is regardless of stove size. Some stoves need a stronger draft to work well. The Lopi Answer is an alternative to consider in that case. It requires a minimum 15' flue system height vs the Regency F1150's 12' min req. height. These heights are at sea level. The thinner air at high altitude will require more height which works a bit in your favor.

It's possible, but with potential caveats. It may take 2 dampers in the stove pipe to tame the draft. This is regardless of stove size. Some stoves need a stronger draft to work well. The Lopi Answer is an alternative to consider in that case. It requires a minimum 15' flue system height vs the Regency F1150's 12' min req. height. These heights are at sea level. The thinner air at high altitude will require more height which works a bit in your favor.
Great. Ok, so basically look at the stoves specs and look for ones with longer minimum flue heights especially for that lower level? Your comments have sparked more specific reading on this site and elsewhere and I’m learning more about what affects draft, thank you. I’m also hoping my local store will have good advice as well after looking at my specific circumstance. Structure won’t be done till the Fall so I have time.

thank you again for helping this newbie 👍

Interesting thread and relevant to my interests. We're in the middle of a house build and doing pretty much the same thing; a stove on the first floor and a stove right below it in the basement, chimney pipes sharing the same chase. The basement run will be over 30' high, and probably somewhere around 20' for the first floor.

ETA: Much lower elevation here, around 1100' ASL.

Interesting thread and relevant to my interests. We're in the middle of a house build and doing pretty much the same thing; a stove on the first floor and a stove right below it in the basement, chimney pipes sharing the same chase. The basement run will be over 30' high, and probably somewhere around 20' for the first floor.

ETA: Much lower elevation here, around 1100' ASL.
If this will be a daylight basement, can the stove be placed at the outside wall to facilitate an outside air connection?
Will there be a radon filter in the basement?

If this will be a daylight basement, can the stove be placed at the outside wall to facilitate an outside air connection?
Will there be a radon filter in the basement?

Yep, both stoves are going to be on outside walls. Already ordered the first floor stove (Lopi Endeavor) with an outside air kit. The basement stove, I was thinking OAK also. Hoping I can run it up and out at the first floor level so I don't have to punch a hole though the concrete basement (see pic below).

There is a radon pipe running down under the basement floor, yep. Don't know if if we'll have a fan yet until testing later. It's on the opposite side of the house from where the basement stove will be.

r5qAHoA.jpg

Hoping I can run it up and out at the first floor level so I don't have to punch a hole though the concrete basement (see pic below).
Nope, the outside air must be at or below the stove's firebox floor to prevent the possibility of reverse draft and the OAK acting as a chimney. A hole should be cut for each stove.

A radon fan may end up being a source of negative pressure in the basement. Will there be an HRV or ERV supplying warmed, fresh makeup air to the basement? That will help.

Nope, the outside air must be at or below the stove's firebox floor to prevent the possibility of reverse draft and the OAK acting as a chimney. A hole should be cut for each stove.

A radon fan may end up being a source of negative pressure in the basement. Will there be an HRV or ERV supplying warmed, fresh makeup air to the basement? That will help.

Yeah, hoping we won't need the fan on the radon pipe, but I bet we will. They'll test down the road when the house is closer to completion.

No current plan for an HRV or ERV. I actually want to bring that up with my builder this week. I never heard of such a thing to be honest. A wood stove shop guy I've been talking to suggesting getting something like that as well.

No current plan for an HRV or ERV. I actually want to bring that up with my builder this week. I never heard of such a thing to be honest. A wood stove shop guy I've been talking to suggesting getting something like that as well.
A good one will allow you to balance the inflow vs the outflow to reach a positive pressure in the basement.