how hot can a hopper be and still be safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
Have been running my Napoleon at 4.5 While filling the hopper tonight, I touched the left inside surface of the hopper. It was hot enough for me to want to pull my hand away. The back side and the right side were cool to touch. The left side is over the exhaust system. Made me nervous. I turned the stove down to 3.5
We burn 24/7, so far without a hitch. Just want to make sure that all the burning is in the burn pot! I have an electronic thermometer I can use to ck. Would like to know what a safe range is.
thanks.

mine is hot too... can't touch for more than 2-3 seconds. i think it's pretty normal.

heat doesn't casue fires... sparks do :)

i don't think the pellet stove is capable of getting hot enough to melt the steel.

briansol said:
mine is hot too... can't touch for more than 2-3 seconds. i think it's pretty normal.

heat doesn't casue fires... sparks do :)

i don't think the pellet stove is capable of getting hot enough to melt the steel.

Actually you need a few things to cause a fire. Heat is one element, fuel another, and oxygen a third. With a chemical chain reaction you have fire. Take one element away and you do not have fire. While you may feel the inside of the hopper getting "hot", I doubt it is anywhere near hot enough to cause a fire. The front inside of my hopper on the XXV gets pretty warm too, but no where near the combustion temperature needed to ignite.

thank you. the link http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fuels-ignition-temperatures-d_171.html was very helpful. the lowest temp for wood was 500 and most was 800-900. while the side of my hopper is hot, it won't burn skin unless you were to leave your hand there. I have always had a healthy respect for fire. Like it when and where it belongs. I have the smoke alerts, co 2 detector, and fire extinguishers in many areas of our home.

Status
Not open for further replies.