1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How hot do you keep your home?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by rideau, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    How big is your home?
    ~1,700 sq.ft.
    How big is your firebox (are your fireboxes)?
    ~1.8 cu.ft.
    How warm do you keep your home?
    ~72 - 80 *....wife had it up to 85* a couple times
    How much wood do you burn in a season? Hardwood, softwood, mix?
    ~average, about 4 - 5 cords
    What zone to you live in?
    ~Southwest Ct.....near the NY border
    Wood your only source of heat?
    ~we do have oil/baseboard heat, but rarely use it
    How many weeks do you heat?
    ~late september till it gets warm outside

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blwncrewchief

blwncrewchief Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern, IN
    1.) How big is your home? approx 1500 Sq. Ft. ranch. 10' ceilings

2.) How big is your firebox (are your fireboxes)? 3.1 cu. ft. advertised

3.) How warm do you keep your home? main section 72-76, master suite side 66-68. House is specifically designed this way as we like it cooler when we sleep.

4.) How much wood do you burn in a season? Hardwood, softwood, mix? after last year it should be 3-4 cords average. Mix but mainly hardwood.

5.) What zone to you live in? 5b

6.) Wood your only source of heat? No. Heat is about 95% with wood. Also have a multi zone, forced air 95% 2 stage varable speed ng furnace and two 26 SEER H2i Mitsubishi mini split heat pumps for back up. :rolleyes:

7.) How many weeks do you heat? about 24-30 weeks on average.
  3. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    2200sq ft home with 2ea Woodstock 1.5 cu ft Keystone stoves but soon to replace one with BK Princess coming in at 2.8 cu ft. I have good insulation but a lot of windows on my East side. I like temps around 70-75 but the wife likes it warmer and I have had no problems pushing 90 with two stoves.
  4. WES999

WES999 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    About 1100 SF

The Regency is advertises at 1.4 CF, closer to 1 cf if you measure useable volume.
    The Fisher in the basement is 2.5CF

Hard to say exactly, the oil burner T stat is set to 55::F so it rarely comes on.
    When the burning for a while, the living room may be 75-80::F the kitchen may be 70::F and the bedroom
    may be 60::F. Maybe 65::F-70::F average.

I burn around 2 cords, mostly hardwood but I burn some soft wood too. Burn a lot of oak pallets as well.

Twilight zone, ( New England)

I have an older oil burner, only came on a few times last winter:)

Don't recall. If it was cold there was a fire.
  5. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    Nothing wrong with 2 smaller stoves. Especially if they have long burn times.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    . . . or less. ;) :)

Actually, unless someone is coming or folks are there . . . wearing boxer shorts and a T-shirt around the house is pretty much my every day, every season attire . . . I've even tried to convince my wife I can wear the same outfit outside of the house while working on the yard as I argue that they look like shorts . . . she's not buying it.
    Lewiston likes this.
  7. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    How big is your home? 2,200 howevr, we only heat 1,100
    How big is your firebox (are your fireboxes)? Jotul Castine is close to 2 believe
    How warm do you keep your home? 70-72
    How much wood do you burn in a season? 3 Cords but that was last year using Fisher Mama Bear, expect to use less this year
    Hardwood, softwood, mix? Mostly Hardwood
    What zone to you live in? Zone 5B
    Wood your only source of heat? Only source for the 1,100 that we heat with wood
    How many weeks do you heat? October through April ...28 weeks
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Castine is somewhere between 1.5 to 1.7 cu ft usable depending on how much you want to pack in there.
  9. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    1900sqft, plus 400sqft finished basement.

2.9cuft Lopi Freedom Insert, used only if we're home all day, and it's very cold out, otherwise we bake.

Winter, Mon-Fri running on Propane heat, 70F on thermostat, 55F at night or when we're at work. Average propane bill for season about $1100.
    Winter weekends, if the insert is running, usually can't keep kitchen below 80F. (This winter project is to improve air distribution.)

Can't say yet how much new insert will burn, pre-EPA insert could be 2-3 cords if we're home a lot at weekends. Wood type depends on storm falls, and preventative cutting, currently oak, cherry, hickory. Desperately need some shoulder season wood. Expecting lots of ash soon (EAB).

Climate 6b, SE PA.

3 Heat sources, original electric baseboard heat (great value before off-peak rates were abolished), retrofit propane central air, and wood. Mostly propane, then wood, a little electric.

No idea how many weeks, probably late September to Late May, whatever it takes to have house to 70F when we sit down in evening.

TE
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    So, is the OP somehow compiling and plotting this data, so we can see useful trends? A collection of numbers is useless, unless someone does some work to clearly display their meaning.
  11. Thomas Anderson

Thomas Anderson Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    I don't think you can compile anything meaningful from the questions answered. You would have to also include insulation type and R-value, air infiltration, solar gain, thermal mass, etc.
  12. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Well, that's where Std. Dev. comes in, but since this is a statistically small sampling, I would agree that it won't produce the most useful data. My statement still stands though... this isn't much use unless someone tries to mine it for some trends.
  13. Lewiston

Lewiston Member

Loc:
    South Central, WI
    This would be my choice except my everyday carry piece would cause the boxers to sag resulting in some serious psychological damage to onlookers.
    Thomas Anderson likes this.
  14. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    How big is your home? 1600 sq ft
    How big is your firebox (are your fireboxes)? Uhhh- It's a good sized insert
    How warm do you keep your home? 64-66 F in the winter
    How much wood do you burn in a season? Hardwood, softwood, mix? about 4 cords hardwood
    What zone to you live in? 5
    Wood your only source of heat? No, maybe 75%, but this winter it will be more like 25%
    How many weeks do you heat?maybe 25​
  15. scroungerjeff

scroungerjeff Burning Hunk

Loc:
    S Jersey
    Home 2500 sq ft
    Firebox I think 2.8 cu ft
    64 when not burning, 74 when home (ha)
    Just 2 cord last year but a really mild season
    Zone 7a
    No. Maybe a bit more than half our heating needs. Just converted to natural gas from LP though
    Try to burn from early Nov through April.