How hot is your ceiling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TomMcDonald

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2022
Australia
Hi Forum members,

I'm trying to get an idea about how hot the air directly above your wood heater/fireplace/insert is (for curiosity and research purposes).

Would some of you mind giving me a temp reading of the air directly above the heater, and tell me the style (freestanding, insert, etc.)?

Thanks so much.

Tom.

P.S the air above my Neo 2.5 insert when it's hot is between 90f and 98f.

You will also need to know how high above the stove for accurate research, and the stove location perhaps?

Hi Forum members,

I'm trying to get an idea about how hot the air directly above your wood heater/fireplace/insert is (for curiosity and research purposes).

Would some of you mind giving me a temp reading of the air directly above the heater, and tell me the style (freestanding, insert, etc.)?

Thanks so much.

Tom.

P.S the air above my Neo 2.5 insert when it's hot is between 90f and 98f.
When our freestanding stove is hot (stovetop temps 550-600), it’s about 88 degrees on the ceiling.

Ceiling is 8ft from the floor, so probably about 5ft or so from the top of the stove?

Thanks Begreen, good point.
There are so many variables including whether the heat is trapped at a ceiling peak or it can flow easily. And then there is the question of fans? Stove blower on vs stove blower off? Basement, 1st or second floor ceiling?

That said, at our 9.5' high, 1st floor ceiling, over the stove it is about 95º and 6ft away it is 85º. Stove temp is 550º, blower off. I put in a false transom that traps more heat in the living room. Otherwise, it flowed too easily up the large stairwell to the 2nd floor.

There are so many variables including whether the heat is trapped at a ceiling peak or it can flow easily. And then there is the question of fans? Stove blower on vs stove blower off? Basement, 1st or second floor ceiling?
Room size could also play a role.

Was warm here for a few days so didn't lite the insert until last night. Ceiling go up to 80. 8 Ft ceilings. I would say the top of the insert is about 3 ft off the floor.

Freestanding Lopi answer, I try to keep it running at 450-550 degrees, cathedral ceiling about six feet above top of stove.

Ceiling stays around 95-105 degrees.

I have a hearth installed Dauntless, 25" from the top of the stove to the fireplace mantel. The hottest I saw it was 130 degrees, with the stove running at 500-600 for a few hours. I put a heat shield up and haven't seen it get above 110, while the heat shield has been 150.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
I have vaulted ceiling in my raised ranch. Goes from 8’ to10’ or so, stove is lopi cape cod insert. When the stove is hot and house is warm I always have the ceiling fan running in a summer mode to help distribute the hot air to the bedrooms. With my infra red thermometer I usually get 70 to 80 dg. But one time I did melt a glue on a spot light which is above my stove.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
That's running nice and hot!
I have a hearth installed Dauntless, 25" from the top of the stove to the fireplace mantel. The hottest I saw it was 130 degrees, with the stove running at 500-600 for a few hours. I put a heat shield up and haven't seen it get above 110, while the heat shield has been 150.

I have vaulted ceiling in my raised ranch. Goes from 8’ to10’ or so, stove is lopi cape cod insert. When the stove is hot and house is warm I always have the ceiling fan running in a summer mode to help distribute the hot air to the bedrooms. With my infra red thermometer I usually get 70 to 80 dg. But one time I did melt a glue on a spot light which is above my stove.
Does this insert protrude from the wall or is it flush?

Yes I think it does work great. It heats my house well but it needs dry wood.

My Stove is in the Basement , and when its running hot the floor rafters above the stove are about 4 and a half feet from stove top the temps are 90 Deg to 95 deg average.