1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How I Stack Wood

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Eric Johnson, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Well Warren, here's another reason you can put on your list. Ours is an English elm and it's taking over a large part of our neighbors yard and our own with the root sprouts everywhere. This is one tree that should not be planted around houses. We've got sproutlets about 150 feet from the mother tree! It attacks our septic tank and any garden bed that has a hint of moisture in it. Worse than willow in my book.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

No ducking here female esailly the most stuborn and dissagreablee and tends to get worse with age
    you havta know when to hold them, know when to fold, them and know when to walk away and when the dealing is done
  3. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Are we getting "OFF TOPIC" or are we still talking about "WOOD" ?
  4. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Yes, take a deep breath .........in through the nose ...................out through the mouth ..........ah . I tried to do something different with the ole' ELM this year becsue 60% of the 10 cords of wood i cut was ELM .......I call all the wood and let isit in a stack for 3 months to dry and then we split it all ( gas 25 ton splitter ) Tho it "did" seem to help with splitting but it was only better by maybe 20% .
    I totally agree with you there brotherman . But it feels so good to take revenge on that darn ELM when its 10° out side . O.K. Warren , I wont bring up your love for ELM untell next seasion.
  5. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Hot day mid summer and some post have been nasty recently, a little humor never hurt anybody.
    I think Elm is wood? I am saving a 12/16" round of American Rock Elm for if we ever have a hearth forum gathering
    I figure the battle between using the 6lb and 8lb malls, this will be the ultimate test. Or I put in my electric splitter and display its limits. And I do agree it sure burns good LOL
  6. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Thanks man! Maybe I'll go out and hack one down in the back yard I've had my eye on.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Splitting Elm, and tree crotches, builds character. Back in my hand splitting days I got enough practice with that stuff that when a neighbor would be bitching about how hard it was to split wood I would one hand the eight pounder through a red oak round. Then hand the maul to them and head my skinny ass off to get a beer.

Never had any neighbor problems the whole time I have lived here.
  8. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Yeah, all of us who split significant amounts of wood get good at it, and it can be a pretty good party trick.

Earlier this summer my inlaws were over. My BIL who prides himself on being quite the athlete (Is Golf an athletic sport?)
    who thinks he's Tiger Woods, Derrik Jeepers (some baseball dude) and (pick some basket ball great, I can't think of any names off the top of my head) all rolled into one, picked up the 6 lb maul, put about an 8" diameter peice of elm on the chopping block and gave a swing. Them Maul promptly bounced off and the wood fell off the block.

Just happened that a much larger peice of ash was sitting right next to it...more like a 14" diameter peice. I put that on the block and with one swing split the peice in two. He was seriously impressed and walked away with his tail between his legs. Gotta love ash!!! His 14 year old sat there wacking the (remember family forum here!!!!) peice of elm for about 15 minutes and finally gave up. they're all looking at the 10 or so cords in the yard goin...."Daaaaaammmmmmmm!!!!!!" :)
  9. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Master card priceless
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.