How important is the Kaowool Blanket ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane

Minister of Fire
Feb 18, 2009
Central NJ
I have a Quadrafire 5100 insert and when cleaning this year the Kaowool blanket on top of the upper bricks was deteriorated and I removed it. The dealer wanted $40 for a new one and I thought that was expensive. I replaced all of the lighter bricks (Pumice ) with regular heavy fire bricks and do not see much if any difference. I have purchased a piece of Kaowool and plan on installing it during summer cleaning of the stove.
I was just wondering if I am missing something because the stove seems to work fine. It may be that the thing has been deteoriating over 10 years and I have not noticed the small changes.
Does anyone have an opinion on this ?

Thanks
Ray

Here is a long thread, but skim it over and it will answer your question. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34651/
If you are a closet (or actual) engineer/scientist, you'll rabidly read the whole thing.

My conclusion is that you'll want to have the insulation, but may be able to find something for less money.
You may also get pangs of regret for using firebrick with lower insulative R value. But I also feel that the Pumice type brick QF uses doesn't give me a good feeling of durability.

Post back your conclusions and findings, if you don't mind. Especially if you find lower price insulation. Would be good to know.

Well, granpajohn;; You probably started something there! Hope the reading is as enjoyable as it was for me. I`ve been researching since "precaud" started that thread and have copied much data on suppliers. Trick is finding those that sell small, and reasonable prices. I`ve found some that costs more than what has been tried. Been trying to learn more about casting and or hardener`s for blankets and or ceramic reflectant coatings,,,etc. No scientist/engineer HERE, and the data gets confusing (been thinking about just mailing it all to "precaud") :) We`ll he started it! :-/ I still learn a little each day!

I would like to get the ceramic bricks on ebay but do not like having to take 1/2 in off of all of them. I will just bite the bullet and buy Quadrafire bricks. I do notice the secondary burn down but I thought that was because of the less than fully seasoned wood I am using.
I did buy the Kaowool online much cheeper at http://www.anvilfire.com/sales/ ( not sure why the link did not work )

Ray

It's good that you found a blanket hurricane. It's an important part of the stove system. The idea is to keep the firebox hot.

My local fireshop has the blanket... pretty cheap. I buy my firebricks from the cement dealer.

Matt

As other said, the blanket keeps more of the heat in the stove and will help get better secondary combustion. The baffle board or bricks just below the blanket are mostly there to hold it up there and direct the exhaust around and over the tubes. Obviously they add a little insulation value as well.

As for the pumice bricks, I know a lot of people don't like the price of them. I just found out last week we can order a 6 pack of uncut bricks for a list price of $23 and sell them for $4 a piece. The normal list price for a single brick is $13 so that's a hell of a difference. We have a wet saw for granite in our shop so we will be stocking these 6 packs next season to sell for $4 a piece. A lot of times if you buy a full set for a stove you get an even better "price per brick".

Where can you buy them ? The only place I found them is Quadrafire dealer. I have wet ad dry masonry saws so cutting them is no problem for me. I have looked all over the internet and called a few brick dealers and the ones that carry anything close is thicker ones.

Hurricane said:
Where can you buy them ? The only place I found them is Quadrafire dealer. I have wet ad dry masonry saws so cutting them is no problem for me. I have looked all over the internet and called a few brick dealers and the ones that carry anything close is thicker ones.

A Quad dealer is about it. Quad does not sell parts online.

As your dealer about buying a 6-pack of the bricks. Its in the current parts list for most of the stoves. Should be a lot better price than the single bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.