1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How in the world does this happen......

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by tkirk22, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    This is the best set of Hurricane Ike pictures I have seen. What a mess to say the least.

#11 and #13 caught my eye though. How is it that a house can remain standing amongst total destruction. #13 isn't even missing a shingle.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html

I can only assume that good builders don't get lucky, they just build strong homes.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    those are good pics!
  3. glacialhills

glacialhills Member

Loc:
    S.W. Michigan
    Reason that places like Barrier islands should be off limits to new construction and housing.
  4. struggle

struggle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Iowa
    Photo 11 and 13 are just amazing that those are still there. I wonder if there was actually any difference in the way they where built or it was just a freak occurrence.

Oh and one light roll over truck with slight water damage that will show up for sale in the midwest.
  5. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    We learn from every disaster. Hurricane Andrew resulted in a lot of code changes to prevent stupid things like the roof ripping off. It is possible that those particular homes were built later to a more stringent code.

What I haven't been able to understand is the fires. Are these from wires shorting out or what????

Chris
  6. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    The last person that evacs is supposed to kick the candle over.
  7. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Strong images.
  8. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Broken gas lines. Tipped over furnaces. Electrical shorts. Take your pick. Although, I don't know why the gas company wouldn't just shut down the supply line before the storm hits. Electric company too. Must be a reason???
  9. struggle

struggle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Iowa
    I would think the gas lines are left on to keep the system pressurized to keep salt water out of the lines as that would seem a difficult fix.

I kind of agree with the last one out kicks the candle over since they may not have wind/flood insurance but can have basic insurance you kind of get the picture.
  10. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
  11. sapratt

sapratt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwestern, Oh
    They used the special nails with glue on them. They also use the top dollar shingles. What also caught my eye is pic 13. Doesn't
    look like any windows broke either. That always amazes me when I see pictures like that. Looks like a bomb went off but that
    house wasn't even scratched. Those are the pics that leave you almost speechless.
  12. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Probably spent a couple thousand bucks to make sure the house was built actually at or slightly above code. Hurricane straps, corner reinforcing, strong shingles, etc. Several years ago, there used to be a picture circulating of a hill side that involved in a forest fire. Basically all you see are chimney's and burnt out foundations, but right in the middle is a perfect house with hardly a scorch mark on it. They interviewed the guy and he was like, "Yeah, we knew this was a fire danger area so we used non-combustible shingles and siding for the house - but everyone else seemed to like the look of wood shingles for their house"

Kind of like during Hurricane Katrina - a friend of mine had family in the area, I ask him if they were OK - He said "the house is gone but they're fine...they started looking around and saying "there is a big storm on the way and we are in a bowl that is 10 feet below sea level - this can't end well - let's leave"

As they always say - sometimes common sense ain't so common.
  13. Poult

Poult Member

Loc:
    Northern NYS
    I understand people like to live on the water, hell, so do I, but when that kind of damage can occur, it's shocking. I hope people aren't stupid enough to rebuild there.
  14. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Not only ARE they stupid enough, they will rebuild and use federal money (aka our tax dollars) to do it.
  15. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
  16. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.