How insulation works

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
in searching this site, I see that liner insulation” reduces” heat transfer and other descriptions saying that it “slows” heat transfer. Are the two terms being used interchangeably or is there an actual difference in terms?

It does both by greatly reducing conducted heat from the liner and slowing down or reducing radiated heat.

Interesting. How much of the radiated heat would you figure is reduced by the insulation wrap?

It does not block air flow though.

Do you mean airflow from liner in form of heat radiating from liner?

It does not block air flow though.
Not sure what air flow you are referring to. Liner insulation really does not have to deal with airflow but it is foil faced so it would

The rate of heat loss through a material depend on both the "R" value of the material and the temp difference from one side to the other. If the rate of heat transfer "slows" then the total amount of heat lost over some period of time is "reduced".

Reactions: illini81
Not sure what air flow you are referring to. Liner insulation really does not have to deal with airflow but it is foil faced so it would
I had block off plate vs stuffing insulation stuck in my brain, my mistake.

I had block off plate vs stuffing insulation stuck in my brain, my mistake.
That was what i thought you were thinking. No big deal.