How is a Fireview like Moses' burning bush?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
It burns but the wood is not consumed! :lol:

Loaded up over 2 hours ago, have beautiful flames rolling across the top with a stove top at 550, just had to change into shorts and the wood looks the same as when I loaded it up.

I love this stove!

wendell said:
How is a Fireview like Moses’ burning bush?
It sounds Divine!

Good one Wendell. How did the new stove work out on those below zero nights we had a while back? Have you had to crank her up some yet?

It did OK but it is clear I've got too much draft when it gets cold out so I'm not getting the heat out of it I know it can produce. Hopefully, we'll get a few nice days so I can shut it down and get the damper installed.

I'm still working on figuring out when to reload. The coals take so long to burn down but you gotta do it or you have no room for wood. :wow:

Whew, for a moment I thought you were going to report that the stove is commanding you "Thou shalt only burn dry wood".

wendell said:
It did OK but it is clear I've got too much draft when it gets cold out so I'm not getting the heat out of it I know it can produce. Hopefully, we'll get a few nice days so I can shut it down and get the damper installed.

I'm still working on figuring out when to reload. The coals take so long to burn down but you gotta do it or you have no room for wood. :wow:

I've been doing 8 hr reloads and burning the stove a smidgeon below #1. This burns pretty hot, 650 sometimes, but with Black Locust I have to burn a little hotter or I end up with too many coals after 8 hrs. Sometimes an hour or so before I need to reload I'll turn up the air if I see too many coals in there. Seems like those splits in the far back can take forever to burn down.

Wendell, as of late we've had to run our draft right down at the zero mark. If you check, you'll notice off is just a tad past zero. Still get lots of heat with it too. Even set that low we can zoom up close to 700 pretty easy.

As always, Dennis, you are the Beacon we all strive for! I'm running at 1 for the first 3-4 hours and then slowly turning it up to burn up the coals. I know I'm sacrificing some Cat temp but thinking I am getting more overall heat as i am trying to heat almost 3000 sq ft and 3 stories.

Wendell, you are too kind. You definitely will get more heat that way. Then it all depends upon what type of wood you are burning as to the length of the burn. Right now during the day we are burning some real crappy wood during the day. In fact, I've run into a spot in the wood pile where we had a leak. What a mess that has made. One large frozen block! lol I'm going to try to burn some but if it is too bad I'll just leave it until Spring and then restack it.

wendell said:
As always, Dennis, you are the Beacon we all strive for! I'm running at 1 for the first 3-4 hours and then slowly turning it up to burn up the coals. I know I'm sacrificing some Cat temp but thinking I am getting more overall heat as i am trying to heat almost 3000 sq ft and 3 stories.

Glad to know someone is trying to heat more space than I am. Still, I'm impressed that you are doing as well as you are.

I'm burning very similar in terms of air setting to what you have described. I find that I end up loading 4 times a day with the colder weather here now which translates into 5-6 hrs between loads (with one load being smaller and one going extra long overnight). It's keeping our house comfortable enough for us but not super warm like some folks here claim they like. I almost miss that shoulder season once a day burn.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wendell, as of late we've had to run our draft right down at the zero mark. If you check, you'll notice off is just a tad past zero. Still get lots of heat with it too. Even set that low we can zoom up close to 700 pretty easy.

Geez Dennis, you may want to look at your air slide. My first season I was burning at zero and thought nothing of it, but found after the season the air slide slid off it's track and must of let more air in. After poking it with a screw driver it slid back in and the lowest I can go now is .5. Do you still see red coals and flame at the 0 setting?

Todd, we get it right where we usually do at .25. All seems well with the slide and we are able to control the fire with it that low but don't dare have it much higher at least at night when we have a full firebox.

That's interesting, Dennis. I usually have mine at 1 for overnight and have no problem with over firing. At .75, I have almost no flame at all and will still have a lot of coals left in the morning and some pieces in the back won't even have broken apart yet.

Wendell, at a setting of 1 it for sure looks like the pits of Hell in there. I can do that if we have only maybe 3 splits in the stove (daytime), but not with a full stove.

If I were to go to anything less than .75 I'd not have any flame for sure and very low heat output. Less than .5 I have not even tried.

I expect that Dennis must have exceptional draft compared to me at least.

Actually I do not consider the draft we have as all that much else when we started a fire the thing would quickly be like a blow torch. Many times we do have to crack the door for a time to get the fire going. That is another reason I don't want to install a damper.

My stove burns just like Wendell and Slow1. I betting since Dennis is burning that extra dry 7 year old firewood it may take less air than the rest of us.

Presently we are burning 3-4 year old wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.